Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was installing an underbody/clear taillight/ new fender elim/license plate holder all at the same time. Worked hard on getting everything just right, then on my way to rewiring the red wire for the tail light literally poked inside the open-wire end of my fuse box... while the bike was CARELESSLY LEFT ON! :( needless to say- the lights are all out. When I turn the key, nothing will come on, and obviously I cannot start it. But, when I touch the same wire to the live metal under the red rubber nub, the tail light and dash lights will come on. I just want to know what I am going to need to fix here.. fuse box? battery? what extent of damage did my prehistoric wiring/circuitry skills get me? I am kind of sweating it because I know that labor can cost me a leg and a half. Let me know guys :(

Thanks. I am going to call the shop tomorrow to come fetch it.. needed a good retorquing and fluid change anyway..

and let this be a lesson to all- reset the fuse box into its spot while wiring.. crazy things happen..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
Don't mod electrical stuff with the power on. Wire it up then check it afterward to see if it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Onslaught said:
Don't mod electrical stuff with the power on. Wire it up then check it afterward to see if it works.
Thanks Slaw and Spooph.. and also thanks for advice. It is funny you say this because the guy who came to pick up my bike to fix it said the same thing before he even said hello! haha.. but it is in the shop, I will hear from him what happened tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
KoelSlaw said:
Indeed...sometimes it needs to be done. I try not to make a habit of it. Hitting 115V straight from an aircraft generator...*twitch*...*twitch* isn't good for your health...*twitch*.
Compare to this man,600 Hz 115V is a child's play.My brother's father in law was a car machanic.The only way he checked if a plug lead is good or bad was by sticking his pinky in the spark plug booth and let some one start the engine.If he jesked meant the lead was good it not then it's bad,change lead.

Now he's dead.Don't get it wrong.Not from that 24'000 volts but from old age.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
I heard a story from my boss the other day. He used to be a diesel mechanic working on underground mining vehicles. One of his work mates could stall a V8 engine(petrol) by placeing both arms over the ends of the sparkplugs on either bank. Apparently unbelievable to watch, and he would always shock someone who was walking by by grabbing the person and a live sparkplug!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,846 Posts
Far out, I hear stories like that, and ones about people doing their own electrical work... I shake my head.

I do it for a living, and have spent 6 years training and sometimes I still get scared (mainly excited :p) but the stuff I see, HARDCORE power.

I've see the black scorch marks that were all that was left behind after a guy cut through a live supply to a sawmill. I've taken 1000v a few times, and 240v across the chest, I've burnt my hands a couple of times... its dangerous stuff people!

Felix



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
My Dad got done with a faulty paint-can shaker, he had one hand on top of the machine, and then he touched the stainless steel benchtop!! Blew him across the room, and left him very stunned!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
I did some cool arch welding working on a oven light switch in the kitchen. Yes TR wanted to strangle me!!
he didn't yell ....at first :) heehee
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top