Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading on an eco forum that o/x-ring chains need 1-2hp to turn because of O-ring friction and non o-ring chains can give you an 3-5 mpg gain and will also last almost as long if lubed frequently.but one main drawback of NON O-ring is when riding in rainy wet conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i was reading on an eco forum that o/x-ring chains need 1-2hp to turn because of O-ring friction and non o-ring chains can give you an 3-5 mpg gain and will also last almost as long if lubed frequently.but one main drawback of NON O-ring is when riding in rainy wet conditions.
I use non o-ring chains, even on my RM250 where I roll through dirt and mud puddles routinely. I lube once a month and never had any problems but if your looking for a long life unit o-ring is probably the way to go. O-ring are harder to turn and the one I pulled off my RM would keep it's shape when I bent it! lol! Felt almost like it was rusted... but wasn't. Either chain, from my understanding, will eat up horsepower if over tightened so keep an eye on that as well.
Take my info with a grain of salt. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I use non o-ring chains, even on my RM250 where I roll through dirt and mud puddles routinely. I lube once a month and never had any problems but if your looking for a long life unit o-ring is probably the way to go. O-ring are harder to turn and the one I pulled off my RM would keep it's shape when I bent it! lol! Felt almost like it was rusted... but wasn't. Either chain, from my understanding, will eat up horsepower if over tightened so keep an eye on that as well.
Take my info with a grain of salt. Hope it helps.
I'll be looking super long life....

http://sidewindersprockets.com/titaniumII-sprockets.html

Smart Chain II The Motorcycle Chain and ATV Chain that thinks
in the 16,000 pound strength....

:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll be looking super long life....

Titanium II Sprocket Lifetime Guaranteed Titanium 2

Smart Chain II The Motorcycle Chain and ATV Chain that thinks
in the 16,000 pound strength....

Yeah... if your going for max life and no maintenance your right, o-ring is the way to go!

For me, I see it as a numbers game. I buy a reg chain for $25 and use used oil to lube it and it lasts me few years, chews up less horsepower and returns fuel mileage benefits. Considering the fuel and power improvements I will change a standard chain several times before I save any money with a $100 dollar o-ring. I usually change the chain, o-ring or not, based on stretch, not if they are rusted internally so I don't really understand the use of o-rings because chain stretch will usually kill the chain before water does.

My useless 0.02 cents worth. :)

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Yeah... if your going for max life and no maintenance your right, o-ring is the way to go!

For me, I see it as a numbers game. I buy a reg chain for $25 and use used oil to lube it and it lasts me few years, chews up less horsepower and returns fuel mileage benefits. Considering the fuel and power improvements I will change a standard chain several times before I save any money with a $100 dollar o-ring. I usually change the chain, o-ring or not, based on stretch, not if they are rusted internally so I don't really understand the use of o-rings because chain stretch will usually kill the chain before water does.

My useless 0.02 cents worth. :)
I have 6000 miles now on my 650....
Haven't had any chain stretch....
I don't run it extreemly hard, but do play a little.
Stock O ring chain.
I lube it every 4-500 miles with Bel-Ray super clean spray.
N clean the chain about every 1500 miles or when it looks dirty.
Hoping original chain goes 15-20,000 miles....
Then i'll change over to the lifetime stuff....

My useless 0.01 cents worth....LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 6000 miles now on my 650....
Haven't had any chain stretch....
I don't run it extreemly hard, but do play a little.
Stock O ring chain.
I lube it every 4-500 miles with Bel-Ray super clean spray.
N clean the chain about every 1500 miles or when it looks dirty.
Hoping original chain goes 15-20,000 miles....
Then i'll change over to the lifetime stuff....

My useless 0.01 cents worth....LOL
Considering my RM250 has twice the power of my ninja and all the power comes on violently, I think your OE chain will be good for a long time. :) When bought, my ninja had allot of use so I decided to change the sprocket, chain, oil, plugs etc. To be honest, if the sprocket didn't look 'spikey' I probably wouldn't have changed them.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Considering my RM250 has twice the power of my ninja and all the power comes on violently, I think your OE chain will be good for a long time. :) When bought, my ninja had allot of use so I decided to change the sprocket, chain, oil, plugs etc. To be honest, if the sprocket didn't look 'spikey' I probably wouldn't have changed them.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The non O ring chain will free up at least two hp and even more on the torque side, BUT you got to keep it clean. When it gets dirty it is worse than an O ring chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.