Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 ex. The bike started initially when I purchased it and the next day I got nothing. Its not the batter cause I disconnected that when I put the bike up.
I connected positive to pos and negative to neg. I hear it click only once, which leads me to believe the starter solenoid is bad.
Has anyone had this issue in the past or know the solution?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Clean ur battery n cable connections first......:thumb:

Make sure ur battery is fully charged....:thumb:

Iffffnnnnn that don't work.......:facepalm:

Then start checking other wiring connections......:rolleyes:

The start button on the handlebars...they do wear out over time....
They can also get dirty......
Sometimes an electrical spray can clean crap out of that n get u buy a while.....:thumb:

Could be ur start solenoid....always a possibility......:eek:

Be4 i went n bought one i'd myself start with checking wiring 4 dirty connections tho.....:whistling:

·
1,458 Posts
So I got power but not crank, I have literally everything else. So I believe it's the solenoid relay. Does anyone know if these things are special or will any solenoid work?
please explain more. Battery power is good? How do you know it is? When you turn on the key what happens? When you push the start button what happens? Is the bike in neutral? Etc To you what your writing may make sense in your head but we are reading this without knowing exactly what you have tried and or done. Be extremely specific please

twisted throttles brings me smiles

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is at 12.59V
When I turn the key I got nothing.
When I hooked up a single wire for the main fuse (disconnected the solenoid) and touched it to the battery it gets power but nothing from the starter.
That's the reason it makes me believe it's the solenoid. No power to anything when I have it connected (fuse is still good in the solenoid)

·
1,458 Posts
Okay but have you tried to see if you have power from the battery to the solenoid sometimes you can have a bad battery cable but if you are getting power from the battery to the solenoid then yes I would agree you have a bad solenoid you can also check by tapping on the solenoid while the key is on the solenoid with the Blunt end of the screwdriver or handle side

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was my first thought and it won't even click over (not even the relay inside) I ordered one off Amazon today, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue.

On that note, does anyone known the diameter of the forks? I'm trying to buy a set of clip on handlebars.

·
1,458 Posts
Cafe ninja did you randomly just think of this question while you were making a post already. Fork diameter doesn't matter on this bike as the handlebars bolt on the top. Of the triple tree If you did put on clip ons you wouldn't be able to drive the bike without your hands going into the tank to turn. Not to mention your double jointed wrist would always be in a bind.

<CAGradientLayer: 0x16eefff0>

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
What if he lowers the front end down to let the tubes pop up an inch to attach them...?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Well i thought that was funny......:whistling:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I did think of this randomly as my bike has shit for handle bars from the previous owner. I've seen several sorts of clip ons that I enjoy and did a little poking around to see what issues may come up.
I really would prefer not to blow several hundreds on something I would be quite unhappy with. So it's just a question since every site says 33mm to 36mm

·
1,458 Posts
Yes earl that may work on some bikes but his forks are inverted from the direction of yours and are made differently. His actually are resting in place as the top of the fork have a different style top sure the outer tube is a certain size but the clip ons would have to mount below the triple tree to fit his bike and that will not work. It would be so uncomfortable and un reachable that the bike is not rideable I'll attach a pic so u can see the top of the fork tube if you want to change the bike I'd suggest changing the forks and triple tree both top and bottom but that's gonna cost ya

Attachments

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Ur gunna hafta see now if the power is crossing the relay. to pass to the starter....:rolleyes:

If so.....maybe ur starter is also bad......:whistling:

Maybe jump a heavy wire to the starter n see if that spins....:whistling:

Maybe.......someone else more into that stuff will come on to say....:whistling:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have since done some voltage test and have found the starter is bad or is dirty, has anyone replaced the starter motor on a 1992 ex 500?
If so help please!! If not and you know the procedure, please let me know!!

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.