Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ninjas!
I'm in need of some reccomendations for the next steps of troubleshooting my 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Recently I've been riding, and early on my bike was cutting in and out of power and function (bobbing?) My dash, neutral light, and headlight, (All electric components) will flash on and off, or dim. It would only last for about 30 seconds, or until I flipped the power off and back on. Yesterday was the last time my dash powered back on, after it bobbed. The next day, I purchased a new battery, because I believed that was the issue. Upon further installation and inspection, I discovered it was not the battery. The power still did not turn over. Upon FURTHER INSPECTION I discovered my main 30A fuse, seperated from the others, was blown, and rigged with wire wrapped around the forks of the fuse. I inserted the spare, it blew, bought new fuses, and inserted one and it blew. The only other suggestions I have is a short, but I have such little knowledge of Troubleshooting a short... UPON FURTHER INSPECTION, I discovered a bolt, behind my monoshock suspension, securing some flanges to the frame, was pushed almost completely outside the insert hole. I don't think this is a cause but if anyone has any comments on the condition of my bike, ALL FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND ENCOURAGED.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tighten that rear-shock back onto the frame or you'll have some serious problems.

As for fuse, you've got a short somewhere. That means a covered insulated section of wiring is exposed and power is flowing to ground abnormally. Here's how to find short and fix:

1. visually trace all wires from end-to-end looking for exposed inner-wire. Separate from others and wrap if found.
2. remove all fuses from fuse box
3. measure resistance/continuity to ground of each terminal in fuse-box (all should be open, infinite resistance)
4. if resistance/continuity shows connection, THAT'S circuit with short
5. unwrap and trace ENTIRE wire of that circuit from end-to-end. If tail-light circuit, trace wiring from tail-light socket to battery, to ignition-switch
6. go back to #3 until all circuits have been tested and verified NOT-shorted to ground.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts