Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok... so i went through this whole thing with funny noises that turned out to be nothing

----> here: http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/shifting-fork-damaged-8276.html

and now after getting my bike serviced and hearing this NEW funny noise that showed up after the dealer service... i finally get the idea to check my coolant level and found it completely and utterly freaking empty, and i am unbelievably pissed and bothered that this happened AT THE SHOP. i HAVE been riding it, and everywhere i read online says that riding with no coolant is some seriously bad mojo. The bike still runs, but i feel that the few rides i took it on could have caused some SERIOUS wear and tear.

the shorthand story:

-pick bike up from shop (after finding out nothing is wrong).. ride home 10 miles (60 degree weather if it matters)
-notice very loud noise that i hear every time i'm slowing down.
-do all kinds of research to find out if the noise signifies a problem
-perform first oil change and chain lube to get ready for class tomorrow.. sound must be nothing. the guys at the shop said the bike is fine
-take bike for a short ride after oil change.. noise still going on.
-do more research
-about to take bike on an errand to pick something up that i forgot at someone's place when i remember reading something about checking the engine coolant before every ride in the owner's manual
-go reference the owner's manual before taking off to find the location of the coolant level indicator
-check coolant and discover it's EMPTY.... no green fluid (it is night time.. shined a flashlight and didn't see anything with the assistance of someone else)
-will check again in the morning

what.. do i do in this kind of situation. i feel like my newborn baby has been dropped on its head and had irreversible brain damage done to it and my heart hurts :nonono:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....-check coolant and discover it's EMPTY.... no green fluid (it is night time.. shined a flashlight and didn't see anything with the assistance of someone else)

what.. do i do in this kind of situation. i feel like my newborn baby has been dropped on its head and had irreversible brain damage done to it and my heart hurts :nonono:
The fluid in the reservoir is not a clear indication of the fluid in the whole cooling system. You need to remove the radiator cap and make sure the coolant is visible in the fill neck. If not, you will need to top it off and refill the reservoir to the F mark with the bike level. If you don't want to do it, take it back to the dealer and make them do it.

If you are still experiencing some front wheel noise, you may want to remove the front wheel and lube the axle, speedo drive and wheel hub and behind the grease seal. Then re-torque the axle to spec.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think that it is the front wheel. the noise is clearly coming from beneath the gas tank from some sort of mechanical part. When i was coming to a stop, i would feel a great deal more vibration between my legs that most definitely felt like a moving mechanical part under some sort of stress.

shouldn't i flush the system of any coolant before putting the new stuff in? not quite sure how to do that yet, but if it's relatively simple i think i'll figure it out.

Curious though... do you think that any damage actually was incurred? I'd like to know if i should dump this thing on another dealership before the engine dies on me or something. The motorcycle is my primary means of transportation, and i simply can't be out of a ride for more than a week at a time

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The only mechanical part that sits under the tank and can cause a vibration throughout the bike, is the engine. It is possible that the tank is loose, as it is held in place by 2 bolts at the base of the tank between the legs. Two rubber bumpers that dampen the vibrations of the tank are mounted on the frame. Also check the head stem bolt on the handlebars. Vibrations can come from there as well. It is not uncommon for it to come loose.These areas should be checked and the bolts/nuts torqued to spec.

There is no need to really flush the coolant at this point. Only if you want too. As far as damage goes, I doubt you have any. If you were critically low on coolant your bike would have overheated, but even before it got to that point you would have noticed other indicators, such as the water temperature warning light and fan continuously running.

You can top off the radiator with distilled water or a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. To top off both the reservoir and radiator you can use something like Prestone 50/50 Ready-to-Use Prediluted Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant. It can be mixed with your existing coolant with a problem. It is considerably light than the OEM coolant so color is not an issue, just a little harder to see in the reservoir. The owner's manual has instructions on checking/replacing the coolant.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You can top off the radiator with distilled water or a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. To top off both the reservoir and radiator you can use something like Prestone 50/50 Ready-to-Use Prediluted Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant. It can be mixed with your existing coolant with a problem.

WITH a problem? i'm going to assume you meant "without."

also... i checked the online owner's manual and it didn't have instructions for flushing the coolant. just said to have the dealership do it. I suppose i'll probably just top it off, but i'm concerned that there may be a leak in the coolant system. I suppose i will find out after i fill it back up.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
WITH a problem? i'm going to assume you meant "without."

also... i checked the online owner's manual and it didn't have instructions for flushing the coolant. just said to have the dealership do it. I suppose i'll probably just top it off, but i'm concerned that there may be a leak in the coolant system. I suppose i will find out after i fill it back up.
Yeap! that's what I meant, "without". You're right the owner's manual does not have instructions for flushing the system but it does have them for checking and replacing the coolant in an empty reservoir. Checking and adding coolant to the radiator can be done with a flexible funnel, however, doing it blind can lead to unwanted spillage. Removal of the right side fairing makes it easier. You can do a coolant flush yourself, but it can be a little messy if it is your first time.

If there is a leak in your system you will be able to tell it right away. First you will be able to smell it as it burns off the engine, you'll see it as light green ooze or crust around and on hose connections and engine parts and in severe cases where the leak is internal, the engine oil will be a milky color.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put the coolant in... saw only a dab in the resovoir. still hear the noise while getting up to speed in the parking lot. i'm gonna ride it to work a couple of miles down the road and see if it goes away, though i don't think that it's supposed to have a delayed reaction. perhaps i do need the grease/lube on the front tire. Will take it to... the same dealership to point out their screw-up and how this problem only arose after they serviced it

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....still hear the noise while getting up to speed in the parking lot. i'm gonna ride it to work a couple of miles down the road and see if it goes away, though i don't think that it's supposed to have a delayed reaction. perhaps i do need the grease/lube on the front tire. Will take it to... the same dealership to point out their screw-up and how this problem only arose after they serviced it
Before (in your other post) you described the noise as a high pitched whine. Is this the same noise or something different? Does this sound come about with speed? Does it sound anything like this video.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You may be hearing the water pump bearings making noise. How many miles did you ride before noticing it?

Have you talked to the dealership? I would have called immediately when I discovered the lack of coolant and had them come pick-up the bike. After riding a while and filing it yourself you may not have any real proof that it was dry after they "serviced" it.

Another good reason to learn to do as much maintenance and service yourself. As they say - If you want something done right...

Jay

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i noticed it probably less than 2 miles off the lot... i thought it was just me worrying too much again, so i ignored it because i felt like a nooby tard taking my bike in because of my lack of knowledge when nothing was really wrong..... I'm almost certain that the noise wasn't there before the service though.

the high pitched squealing noise went away after i taped the cord of my left front blinker to the inside of the fairing (the fairing is damaged since i dropped the bike.. so no it's nothing like in the video). This new noise is quite loud and it sounds like heavy machinery powering down is the best way i can describe it. It's a medium-low range pitched sound.

actually... just thought of a good way to describe it i think. it reminds me of a sound the engine makes when i shift up after being at high RPM's in a previous gear and don't give it enough throttle before i hit the friction zone... probably sounds similar to engine braking. I'm pretty certain that the clutch isn't rubbing on the transmission though, and it happened while i was at a certain speed in the parking lot earlier... probably in the 15-30 MPH range. it disappears when i go faster either because i can't hear it, or because it really is disappearing

idk if i mentioned it, but the only thing the dealership actually supposedly changed was the idle speed of the bike.. it was too high before

I ended up not riding the bike to work in fear that something might happen btw... kind of worried it may not be safe to ride, and would it take time for the coolant to make it into the system?.. i only rode for about a minute. also may have filled the coolant too much.. didn't take the fairing off.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Did you remove the radiator cap to check the level of the coolant? That's more important than the reservoir at this point. You can check it with the fairing on and with a flashlight if you have to. Adding coolant goes directly into the system so there is no delay in getting it into circulation. You shouldn't have to worry about air bubbles unless the system is completely empty.

From what you just described, it sounds like you may be hearing normal tranny whine. You can hear it before the exhaust and wind noise in this video video .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
didn't know i could put coolant directly into the radiator; will do that tomorrow.

that video most definitely doesn't have the noise that i'm talking about... i would instantly recognize it. the entire time i'm braking, the clutch is disengaged and i'm braking with the brakes fyi if it matters. i'm thinking it may be the cooling fan running at really high RPM's while the clutch is disengaged and the engine is idle

how would i deal with air bubbles in the radiator if it is empty and i do have to fill it?/ do i have to take off fairings to fill it?... trying to find video of someone opening or filling a ninja radiator, but apparently doing so is not common.

also, i just read that the air pocket at the top of the reservoir is for any air bubbles that may be in the radiator and i think i may have filled mine too much. how would you go about siphoning some out?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
popped open the radiator cap today and found it full... (whew).. afterwards, i took it to the dealership i bought it at (one different than the one i serviced it at) and they insisted that nothing was wrong. The volume of the noise i was hearing has been cut in half it seems since i filled the reservoir and since i'm covered under warranty.. i don't think i'm gonna worry too much about it. My only question... do i need to siphon some of the coolant in the reservoir? it's about 2-3 centimeters over full when cold.

·
Registered
674 Posts
(SNIP) My only question... do i need to siphon some of the coolant in the reservoir? it's about 2-3 centimeters over full when cold.
Sounds like it. It will expand when hot, so if it's over the "F" mark now it will be way over - and probably leaking - when it's hot.

The biggest problem with overflowing would be the fact that it would most likely get on the back tire and could easily cause a crash.

Jay

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i'm actually doing a coolant flush and remembered this thread... i'm just gonna use a new jug of prestone 50/50 and keep the old one i used to top off for topping off in the future.

i'm thinking about adding a little bit of extra water to the mixture.. opinions?... it gets quite hot here in texas, but also cold during the winters

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
so i'm actually doing a coolant flush and remembered this thread... i'm just gonna use a new jug of prestone 50/50 and keep the old one i used to top off for topping off in the future.

i'm thinking about adding a little bit of extra water to the mixture.. opinions?... it gets quite hot here in texas, but also cold during the winters
I's mix to the directions it says for ur area.....
Here we use a 60-40 most the time......
It gets cold in winter n hot in summer....
-40 below F n winter 100+ F in summer....

·
1,458 Posts
so i'm actually doing a coolant flush and remembered this thread... i'm just gonna use a new jug of prestone 50/50 and keep the old one i used to top off for topping off in the future. i'm thinking about adding a little bit of extra water to the mixture.. opinions?... it gets quite hot here in texas, but also cold during the winters
add wetter water. It's a radiator additive safe for aluminum radiators and will drop your temp 5-15degrees. Depending on each bike. But it dropped about 8 on my zx10. And about 18 on my r6

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.