Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Where was this bike 2 years ago? I wonder if I would have still went with a kawi if I would of had a choice?

Great point Felix. I compared for a long time between the KLR and the Versys. They have lots of differences and a fair number of similarities. But in the end, it was the engine that sold the Versys: an FI twin over the carbed thumper.

Between the 2 250s, I'd still go Ninja. Hands down. And that's not brand loyalty, because I'm still mad at Kawasaki Canada.

Virt - will it be worth it? Probably, but really, only a test ride will tell...

Felix - GP3, 40HP out of a thumper. Cleaner and just as fast as the 2-strokes. Sure sure, apples to oranges, GP bike to production. Just saying it's possible. Reliability goes through the roof, and enough power is ALMOST there. I bet if you get that sucker to 25ft.lbs of torque, it would be a great screamer, and excellent in the urban setting... Might lack a bit on the racetrack, but I'll sacrifice that for FI....

If this thing has good bottom-end, it's going to be all over the Ninja. I've rode plenty of small bikes, and the lack of low-end torque on the 250 Ninja, was almost alarming.

Of course, the Ninja screams to redline, faster than I ever thought possible. I guess that's the trade-off. But more bottom-end, would make me happier on the street.

Canadian pricing just released for the Hondas, thought it was interesting:

2011 Ninja 250r: $4,999 or $5,199 for the SE paint
2011 Honda CBR 250r: $4,499 or $4,999 for the 250a ABS model, both Hondas are FI
2011 Honda CBR 125: $3,499 - new style, looks almost exactly like the 250, FI too.

Wow! So the Honda has under-cut the Ninja? That is surprising & very interestng indeed.
I wonder how the prices will go over here....

wow $5000 for an abs bike?!
that should win hands down for new riders and old riders alike!

Unless this bike is unimpressive when seen in person, it will likely do serious damage to Kawasaki's marketing of the 250R. As an entry-level, starter motorcycle, having ABS makes it a class winner. But will it develop the following that the little Kawasaki has? We'll let you know, in twenty-something years.

As enthusiasts of the 250R, we will ultimately benefit from the introduction of the Honda. The competition will force Kawi to re-design and improve the bike, well before they wanted to. And do so, without absurd pricing.

On the flip side, our new-gens will be obsolete too soon, I'm afraid. :(

Just sat on a new CBR250 in the showroom.

Bike fits my long legs much better than the Kawi, but I'd still want the pegs set back some. Stock bars are real clip-ons, and easy to replace. But with less than an inch of clearance in 3 directions, replacing them with something more aggressive may require some trimming.

Bike looks tall, next to The Wife's 250R... Not my cup of tea. But wouldn't be a bad option, for the longer-legged among us.

Here's a completely different, race-only, Honda 250 4-stroke single - the NSF250R.

Built to run in Moto3, it has some unusual features like forward intake and rear exhaust, plus lots of neat touches.

Way better looking than the CBR 250 IMO, but still disappointing to me that's it's a single.

Not sure why Moto3 couldn't be multi-cylinder instead of single-cylinder 250s.

Jay

Not sure why Moto3 couldn't be multi-cylinder instead of single-cylinder 250s.
Moto3 is a training ground, for faster classes. Ruling out multi-cylinder bikes keeps the cost down. The Honda single is quite a bit different from the street bike, true. But in articles I've read, Honda plans to transfer improvements in the race platform to street bike, as they happen.

A kind of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" philosophy. :dance:

Moto3 is a training ground, for faster classes. Ruling out multi-cylinder bikes keeps the cost down. The Honda single is quite a bit different from the street bike, true. But in articles I've read, Honda plans to transfer improvements in the race platform to street bike, as they happen.

A kind of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" philosophy. :dance:
Some stuff may trickle-down, but the engines are completely different. Honda marketing dept at work IMO.

I understand the point of Moto3, but I still think at least a twin should be allowed in Moto3 - a single-cylinder 4-stroke road racer just doesn't seem right!

Jay

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.