Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So the answer to ur question is no and secondly thanks to the terminator u must have a stock exhaust if production was after jan 1 2013 damn I'm glad I live in Michigan and let alone Detroit they don't give a rats as$ round my parts... I stood up on my pegs to adjust my shorts going about 50mph and it didnt work rode right past a cop too I pulled in a parking lot put the stand down got off he rolls in behind me he saw the Bluetooth unit so he gave the thumbs up as I was muting my music I said yea just trying to adjust it didnt work so well when I stood up back there he laughed and said ride safe have a good night.. Never once got out of his car asked for credentials really cool guy as long as u are with them here they all are but btw welcome to the site stay up

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I lowered the front of my 2010 650 about 10mm, only because that's what it was supposed to be from the factory, but was delivered with the forks flush with the triple tree.
Made a big difference in the handling and it tipped into the corners cleaner.
We just loosened the triple tree bolts a little so the forks could slide up. ***Only do one at a time!***
We also used a caliper to measure the distance it was dropped so both sides were identical.
I have seen 650's with a front end drop of about 2" but the rear was also dropped to match. You can really muck up the geometry of the bike if you only do one end to such a big degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone told me that it would hande better. I know they make a rear lowering kit that drops the bike 2" but I thought that if you lower the back you shoud also lower the front. I've looked and looked but cant seem to find any kits for the front. I live in the high desert in so cal and the winds can get a bit too much

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

and I was also wondering if lowering the bike would help.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Someone told me that it would hande better. I know they make a rear lowering kit that drops the bike 2" but I thought that if you lower the back you shoud also lower the front. I've looked and looked but cant seem to find any kits for the front. I live in the high desert in so cal and the winds can get a bit too much

View attachment 5258

and I was also wondering if lowering the bike would help.
Lowering the front is done by dropping the triple tree down further on the fork tubes.
Be carefull playing with these type things....
Gunna change how it handles 4 sure....
:facepalm:
Maybe that Ghost dude will tell u more....
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
...Someone told me that it would hande better. I live in the high desert in so cal and the winds can get a bit too much
...and I was also wondering if lowering the bike would help.
Most stock sport bikes have pretty conservative geometry. While the suspension can be optimized for better track and street performance, you really need to know and do more than just slap on a lowering kit.
Things such as Rake, Trail, Wheel base and Steering head to Swing arm pivot should be considered. Tires and riding style also can have an affect on how the bike handles.

You can waste a lot of time and effort not having good measurements and knowing how to tweak it just right. Without the right info, you could make gains in one area just to give it up somewhere else. In some cases high speed head shakes may develop, even though it perceives to turn better or handle better in the wind.

Is this your first bike? A simple test for you to do is ride a stock Ninja 250 then see how your bike handles compared to it. Then tell us which would handle better in high winds. Here's a good article to read about Crosswinds.

·
1,465 Posts
Ghost. Could not have said it any better myself. Adding a note that suspension is very precise and doing the wrong things when setting suspension may not affect your straight riding but will definitely hender your curving so adjust in moderation if any then ride and adjust from there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.