Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Ninja 600r that was not running when I purchased it. The fuel tank filter was clogged with green corrosion. I replaced the petcock & filter, thoroughly cleaned the carbs and replaced the pilot jets. The only think I did not clean was the fuel mixture jets as these are sealed. I tried to avoid drilling them out.

The bike starts and runs, and revs fine when sitting still. However on the road, the bike feels like it is fuel starved at high RPMs and will not go above 70 MPH. There is no throttle response when trying to accelerate past this speed. Could this be the fuel mixture jets?

·
1,458 Posts
I have a 1996 Ninja 600r that was not running when I purchased it. The fuel tank filter was clogged with green corrosion. I replaced the petcock & filter, thoroughly cleaned the carbs and replaced the pilot jets. The only think I did not clean was the fuel mixture jets as these are sealed. I tried to avoid drilling them out. The bike starts and runs, and revs fine when sitting still. However on the road, the bike feels like it is fuel starved at high RPMs and will not go above 70 MPH. There is no throttle response when trying to accelerate past this speed. Could this be the fuel mixture jets?
it could be but have you cleaned the gas tank? That's the cause of most people problem. They instantly clean the crabs and the bowls and the jet but not the tank then try to run the bike. All the crap in the tank goes right into the cleaned carbs and dirty is your carbs new condition. The best way to clean the tank is to take it off drain all the fuel. Put a 1/4 gallon back in the tank and violently shake it then empty and repeat the process. Then reinstall on the bike fill with high octane fuel run it through the bike a while and hope it re cleans the carbs. Sometimes I use air to blow the jets free if they are being stubborn. Just don't put high air pressure in the sealed carb or you can ruin parts on the inside seal and or baffle. Start there then check the voltage on the coil. And your spark plug is clean. Outside that you may have a dirty air filter. Hope this gives you a starting place

twisted throttles brings me smiles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could be but have you cleaned the gas tank? That's the cause of most people problem. They instantly clean the crabs and the bowls and the jet but not the tank then try to run the bike. All the crap in the tank goes right into the cleaned carbs and dirty is your carbs new condition. The best way to clean the tank is to take it off drain all the fuel. Put a 1/4 gallon back in the tank and violently shake it then empty and repeat the process. Then reinstall on the bike fill with high octane fuel run it through the bike a while and hope it re cleans the carbs. Sometimes I use air to blow the jets free if they are being stubborn. Just don't put high air pressure in the sealed carb or you can ruin parts on the inside seal and or baffle. Start there then check the voltage on the coil. And your spark plug is clean. Outside that you may have a dirty air filter. Hope this gives you a starting place

twisted throttles brings me smiles
Thanks. Tank and filter have both been cleaned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Common problem if the fairings have been off. First place to look is under the headlight. One of the two small ram air carb balance pipes is disconnected or where the two become one is not fitted right, or a hole in that system pipe work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.