Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
9,088 Posts
What can you do to keep your Motorcycle from overheating?
Maybe put some antifreeze in it?
Maybe change out the thermostat?
Maybe have the system flushed n new stuff put in?
Maybe check n see ur fan works?
Maybe not use diesel fuel?
Maybe not run it at 10 grand every second?
Maybe move up by Indy Joe-Hoe-Hoe where it don't get warm enough to think about over heating.....:popcorn:

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
What conditions are you in when it is overheating?
Is it an overly hot day? Stop/Start Traffic?
More information would be helpful.
My 650R was overheating on my last ride, but it was in hot weather like 30-35deg Celcius days.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Wonder when the last time the system has been serviced?
Could be it just needs a flush n new fluid n thermostat?
Maybe the pumps getting bad?
I expect these bikes just use a rubber finned pump like a boat motor does?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
There's more than a dozen possible reasons as to why you are overheating and more than a dozen answers. Can you be a little more specific as to why the bike may be overheating?

Also have a look at the Troubleshooting Guide to help you narrow down the issue.

Overheating:
Firing incorrect:
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug incorrect
IC igniter in ECU trouble

Muffler overheating:
For KLEEN, do not run the engine even if with only one cylinder misfiring or poor running (Request the nearest service facility to correct it)
For KLEEN, do not push-start with a dead battery (Connect another full-charged battery with jumper cables, and start the engine using the electric starter)
For KLEEN, do not start the engine under misfire due to spark plug fouling or poor connection of the stick coil
For KLEEN, do not coast the motorcycle with the ignition switch off (Turn the ignition switch ON and run the engine)
IC igniter in ECU trouble

Fuel/air mixture incorrect:
Throttle body assy holder loose
Air cleaner duct loose
Air cleaner poorly sealed, or missing
Air cleaner O-ring damaged
Air cleaner clogged

Compression high:
Carbon built up in combustion chamber

Engine load faulty:
Clutch slipping
Engine oil level too high
Engine oil viscosity too high
Drive train trouble
Brake dragging

Lubrication inadequate:
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil poor quality or incorrect

Gauge incorrect:
Water temperature gauge broken
Water temperature sensor broken

Coolant incorrect:
Coolant level too low
Coolant deteriorated
Wrong coolant mixed ratio

Cooling system component incorrect:
Radiator fin damaged
Radiator clogged
Thermostat trouble
Radiator cap trouble
Radiator fan relay trouble
Fan motor broken
Fan blade damaged
Water pump not turning
Water pump impeller damaged

1,465 Posts
You need to be specific when you ask questions bud so we can all try to help out. That being said yes their are ways to keep the bike from
Over heating but we need some info on when is it over heating.... At a red light? While riding? If idling to long? What temp is it outside where you live? Do you hear the electric fan come on? What oil are you using in your bike? Other than the over heating does the bike seem to run fine? Do you aluminum safe radiator fluid in reservoir? How old is the bike? ETC?......

· Registered
674 Posts
In general, it's very odd to have temp issues with a water cooled engine in normal conditions if everything is working properly.

If it's overheating you need to start troubleshooting - there's a problem.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
True......
My 650 fan i hear run only at stop lights in 95+ heat...
NNnnn that doesn't run very long when it does...
Flush!!! that coolant, change thermostat n refill...n...go from there...
Check the radiator first for signes of damage be4....in case...
Many issues can cause over heating tho....

1,465 Posts
Dont guess at the issue. Answer the questions before you spend money on things. Between us all we can point you in a good direction. And earl and jkv if you hear a fan come on the bike is over heating. This does not mean it is causing damage yet but that is over the preferred operating temperature. It doesnt matter what bike if your at a light and the bike is idling you temp increases from riding speed. This you all know. Please answer the questions or gove us more info to help getting you on the right path. Maybe you do need a flush. Maybe its a fan issue maybe you water pump is bad. We dont know how to help without more info

· Registered
674 Posts
I guess we need to define "overheating". What are the symptoms? Is the temp gauge in the red? Is the fan running all the time?

Just having the fan running doesn't mean it's "overheating" - it just means the coolant in the radiator has reached a set temp and there's not enough air flowing over the radiator to drop the coolant temp below the set point. If you are on the highway the fan won't run - there's enough air moving to draw the heat away, but if you are stopped the fan will move the air through the radiator instead.

If the fan runs without shutting off - there's a problem. The fan should cycle on-and-off if you are sitting still or not moving much (heavy traffic) and are at the high range of the normal operating temp.

If the gauge is in the high part of the normal range and the fan is cycling on-and-off when sitting I wouldn't say there's a problem. If the gauge is in the red zone and the fan is running all the time without turning off, or running when you are moving at a moderate speed or above, I would say there is.

1,465 Posts
I guess we need to define "overheating". What are the symptoms? Is the temp gauge in the red? Is the fan running all the time? Just having the fan running doesn't mean it's "overheating" - it just means the coolant in the radiator has reached a set temp and there's not enough air flowing over the radiator to drop the coolant temp below the set point. If you are on the highway the fan won't run - there's enough air moving to draw the heat away, but if you are stopped the fan will move the air through the radiator instead. If the fan runs without shutting off - there's a problem. The fan should cycle on-and-off if you are sitting still or not moving much (heavy traffic) and are at the high range of the normal operating temp. If the gauge is in the high part of the normal range and the fan is cycling on-and-off when sitting I wouldn't say there's a problem. If the gauge is in the red zone and the fan is running all the time without turning off, or running when you are moving at a moderate speed or above, I would say there is.
exactly why the questions need to be asked!!we need specifics ppl

· Registered
9,088 Posts
how do i make a thumb earl?

On the right side i just clik it...n all the other things....:thumb:
:) :ermm: :facepalm: :rolleyes: :flowers: :nonono: :angel: :eek: :whistling: ;) :D :dance: :popcorn: :(:banghead: :hide:
LOL.....
Unless ur talking about a thumb on a backhoe....
Then ur gunna need a buncha good rugged metal n a piston n some controls n hoses .nn......:facepalm:

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all. You are right I should have been more specific. The bike was overheating in stop and go traffic. I checked the coolant levels and they are correct. I had the bike serviced at 600 miles and I am only at 800. So thanks again for some positive answers.

1,465 Posts
Thanks all. You are right I should have been more specific. The bike was overheating in stop and go traffic. I checked the coolant levels and they are correct. I had the bike serviced at 600 miles and I am only at 800. So thanks again for some positive answers.
what do you mean by overheating. Be specific. Bikes get hot in stop and go traffic and ive had bikes that got way to hot
In stop and go Liquid cooled bikes still get hot but not as quickly as traditional motors. Still we need specifics bud you told us miles and in traffic but what are you calling over heating. When the fan comes on? Do you get a warning light? Does your temp gauge show you as hot? Be specific please. Remember we are here to help you of your not specific we cant do that. The lack of specifics is why ppl get so many off the wall answers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.