Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been avidly reading the posts about aftermarket exhausts and it seems like either the Arrow or Yoshimura exhausts are the best options for the Ninja 400...

But here's my question. I haven't modified my bike other than to put on SW Motech saddle bags that have posts and clips which secures the bags to the bike (worth every penny I spent - easy on easy off)... But the one thing that bugs me is the amount of heat that comes off the exhaust and straight up my legs...during the summer with my gear on, i feel like I'm sitting on a furnace. Anyone have suggestions on an aftermarket exhaust that re-directs more of the heat away from the rider??

Thanks!

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Pretty sure that is not the exhaust, but actually engine heat, and it is a common complaint about the 650/400 engine.

I have seen a few guys who have wrapped their headers to help retain the heat, but I could not tell you how effective it is. From what I have seen it is a time consuming job, and it does look good when done right especially on the naked ER6N.

I have noticed the heat especially waiting at the lights etc, but we don't get the higher temperatures like you guys do here in Tasmania, so it is bareable.

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Zandit,

Thanks for the reply and the link, quite educational! I'm not sure I'll do that - it would be the Hubby and I'm not sure he's keep to do all that work on my bike!

Appreciate the help tho!

I do have a question for you...Your Yoshi exhaust...did you get any benefits from it...other than it sounding great?? Sorry, bit of a newbie with the bike...just looking to upgrade the bike a bit to get a bit more out of it....

Thanks!

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Don't worry about sounding like a Noob, we have all been there!

I love the sound of the Yoshi, but there was no real benefit from changing to it apart from getting a better sound. The bike did feel smoother, but most of that was probably in my head!

As for the wrap, don't ask him........TELL HIM to do do it!!!! You women have all the power you need over us mere men!! Lol, I'm likely to get into troble over this!!

Unfortunately, to get more out of our bikes, you need to spend alot of money for minimal gain. The 250, 400 and 650's are not supersports and while you will notice some gains with an exhaust, maybe a Power Commander 5 will work on your bike, you will only see a small increase that is really only noticable on the dyno. You can smooth out and improve the throttle control of the bike, but without tearing into the motor, the most you can hope to get out of these accessories is about 5-7hp max. While that is a good percentage over stock, as mentioned, it is not very noticable.
Something else to look at is the suspension. Improving this can help increase the performance of the bike, just not in the power stakes.

My advice is to look into other ways for you to get more out of the ride, namely take lessons on handleing and cornering etc. There is more fun to be had than just straight line speed, and on a slower bike, especially in the twisties you can push the limits and get more enjoyment out of the ride.

Take this with a grain of salt, especially since I have not taken any of the courses myself(There is not much available in Lil ole Tassie!) but I believe that is the best.

My 2c!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zandit you are hilarious! My Husband laughed at what you wrote...and then prompt said he's not doing it when you mentioned there weren't many gains. LOL

Well this past May I took an Advanced Rider Training Course that my club (the Ottawa BMW Motorcycle Club - my Husband has a BMW K1200LT) offers every year - it's really a cornering course held at the Calabogie Race track for those who know about it. It was lots of fun, learned lots and pushed the bike almost to it's limit or at least my limit. The instructors were great and provided lots of help/things to learn along the way.... I will take the course again in a few years after i get a few more Km's under my belt... I'm at almost 6,000kms in a year and a half.

And by the way, you are right, it's all engine heat and seems to be worse on the right side...but that may be all in my head.

Btw, i noticed that you have frame sliders on your 650..which ones did you install? I've been going to a Honda dealer (the Kawi dealer's service desk is USELESS) for service and I guess the only Framesliders he found requires drilling the fairings... Curious to know which ones you have and if you had to drill into the fairings...

Thanks again Zandit...happy riding!

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.