Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
It is like 25 degrees out where I am when im trying to ride my bike. I try to get it warmed up and it usually takes a few minutes. What is the normal idling rpms supposed to be at? just curious..thanks...Also could any one go through the proper warm up technique when it is really cold...Thanks.
-B

·
Registered
256 Posts
you are supposed to adjust the idle screw down if its above that... i couldnt say if it will do anything to your engine idling that high... except overheating at a stop, and gas consumption.
you have to remember, its a parallel twin, not a 4 cylinder. it will sound a little putt-putt at idle. thats normal
ive found the perfect idle so when the bike is warmed up, in cold or heat, it is at ~1400rpm

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't know about you US folks, but when I start my bike up in the cold, the electric choke kicks in, raises the rpm to 2-3k/rpm and when it's warm and ready to go, it goes back to idle at around 1-1.5k/rpm.

·
Registered
256 Posts
that cause you are FI. (you lucky bastard :-D) mine starts up cold and idles at like 900... need to choke it up for a 5 seconds, then it will gradually increase to 1400 as it warms up.
ALSO 100th POST

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey,
Thanks guys for your input. I usually let it warm up by chokin it for about 5 or 10 minutes or until the rpm gets up around 2.5k...Then i slowly put it back and the bike is always idling at around less than 1.5k. Keeping it under 4k for the first 500 miles is not fun lol, but essential for breaking it in. Oh well.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Be careful running the enricher to long, it can lead to fouling the plugs I'm pretty sure. Riding is the best way to warm a bike up, not idling. Start your bike, get your gear on, hop on and take it easy for a few miles, more than enough. Also tinted do a search for 'break in procedures' there are lots of views...

·
Registered
21 Posts
F.I. bike here:
-Cold idle at exactly 2000 rpm.
-Warm idle at 1200 rpm.

Adjust the idle screw when the engine is warm to 1250-1350 rpm. Anything above is useles and will raise fuel-consumption as well as chances of overheating when stopped at a red led light/because of traffic.

On the plus side, you'll stall (?) less when your idle is higher.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
tinted said:
Thanks Felix...Its my first bike so I am trying to learn the proper way to do everything. haha

-Benson
Haha, well dont know about 'proper way' lots of different things work for different people. Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them but nobody really wants to hear from them.

Felix

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Felix said:
tinted said:
Thanks Felix...Its my first bike so I am trying to learn the proper way to do everything. haha

-Benson
Haha, well dont know about 'proper way' lots of different things work for different people. Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them but nobody really wants to hear from them.

Felix
hahahaha +1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.