Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first day of actual riding today. My lessons are fantastic and i'm still learning on the clutch, but its gotten easier then my first few tries. I was chatting with a guy there and he was saying i should go for the 400R ninja, rather then the 250R

I weigh roughly 220, I'm about 5'10-5'11 So im shortish and big-er. Anyway, would i have any issues on the 250? Would i be able to accelerate at a decent speed to say avoid a rear end incident, if my reaction time never varied between the two?

I like the ninja 250. It's smaller, it's not as dangerous, and it still gets the job done. Which is what i want. But will it have issues doing the job if i'm this heavy?

Thanks in advance.

Ninjeff

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I think the best answer for this question is an actual test ride.
Some things to take into consideration:
Weight: 250R - 375lbs, 400R - 448lbs, There is a very noticable difference, trust me I know from experience!
Power: 250R - 33hp, 400R - 44hp, considering the 650R has 73hp which is identicle to the 400R in everyway except for a sleeved engine, I don't think there will be a huge amount of difference in performance thanks to the extra weight that the 400R carries.
Price: 250R - $4,999, 400R - $6,999, is $2000 extra worth only 11hp and 73lbs?
Handling: The 250R is much nimbler and easy to ride, thanks to the extra weight advantage over the 400(650).
I am shorter than you(5'6") and I can touch the ground with my toes on both sides, but there is a slight difference in seat height as well as over all size.

Personally, as I mentioned take both bikes for a ride if you can, then make the decision on what your butt tells you!
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hey Ninjeff. The 400r doesn't get much respect on this site because, as zandit says, it is identical to the last gen 650, including being within a few pounds of mass, but has less power. Having said that, it has received some very good reviews and Cycle Canada gave it a great review in their magazine when the 400 came out. I ride a 650 (Versys) but I'd consider going down the 400 for my next bike if it meant savings in fuel and insurance, based on the good things I have read. Worth a look-see for sure. If you are torn between the 250 being "not enough" and a 650 being "too much" the 400r may be perfect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
650 isn't what i'm looking for. I don't want a bike with that much power. The 400 isn't looking bad, but my heart is sorta set on the 250. Can a bike ride with the throttle put on full blast for a decent amount of time? I've never driven a long distance, and my first road ride on a '92 Honda nighthawk is tomorrow with my motorcycle class.

I do plan on going on say a 5 hour road trip with the 250, with some decent hills in it. Will it have a hard time? The 400 would be better here, and since i have had the time to sit on a 400 yet, i guess i can't compare the comfort. My issue is only my weight and the torque of the 250. Will it get me out of the way in time if i need to go? Will it go 120 km/h with me on it? I like the 250. The 400 is big and i'm not sure i like the fact of owning a bigger bike. I like to go at a decent pace, i like the handling, i like to ride for enjoyment. So i guess i've sorta already made up my mind? Haha. I'll check them out when i go to the dealership tuesday or wednesday. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The new ninja 250 is Not a Honda night hawk . I rode a rebel on the highway and understand your consern. You will be traveling at over 100 mph if you hold full blast for more than a minuite.

That said you need to sit or ride both before deciding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 for the 400R.

First off im a new rider and only previously rode an old dirtbike around the farm before my new 400R...

That said, I had similar concerns when I started looking for my first bike. I'm 6' tall and about 260 pounds. I was originally considering buying a 250 either Honda or Kawi untill I actually sat on them, The 400R was the right size.

The 400R was a no brainer choice in the end for the same reasons you mentioned. Price, moderate power, decent torque to move my big ass in the city, great fuel economy, absolutely great handling(i think the bike weighs less than kawi says it does), super comfortable riding position for a bigger person like me, and cheap insurance. I can say that even with my weight it moves quote well... and achieving highway speeds is easy "wink wink", and it loves to lean. In the city its fun to flip through the short gears, and you can keep it below 4Krpm and it feels fine.

I think for me the most important factor in chosing the 400R was a combination of comfort and a sense of confidence that the bike won't bite a new rider in the ass if you make a minor mistake, like maybee a 650 might:facepalm:.

Computerguy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like the ninja 250. It's smaller, it's not as dangerous, and it still gets the job done.
Ninjeff
Looking at the specs for the 400 you get wider tyres, dual discs up front and probably better suspension which would all contribute to making the bike safer than the 250, not more dangerous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had to make the same choice and the 250 comes out a clear winner. The 400 weighs about the same (if not heavier) as a handful of mindrange sportbikes and for only 11 extra hp, I am not looking to pay the extra money or deal with the extra weight of the bike.

If you're a bigger build & new to riding, then the 400 might be more suitable. Only justification I can see barring the insurance bracket (most places see the 400 in the lowest bracket).

If you're not a newbie, may as well get on a midrange sportbike. If you're smaller, the 250 is a lot more friendly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had to make the same choice and the 250 comes out a clear winner. The 400 weighs about the same (if not heavier) as a handful of mindrange sportbikes and for only 11 extra hp, I am not looking to pay the extra money or deal with the extra weight of the bike.

If you're a bigger build & new to riding, then the 400 might be more suitable. Only justification I can see barring the insurance bracket (most places see the 400 in the lowest bracket).

If you're not a newbie, may as well get on a midrange sportbike. If you're smaller, the 250 is a lot more friendly.

If you do the math you'll find the 400R has a considerable power/weight and torque/weight ratio gain over the 250...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the 400 2 weeks ago and I love it. It has a 650s looks and a 250s insurance benefits, whats not to love. I save 600-1000 bucks here in manitoba on insurance. 6 years of insurance and thats a whole new bike you can buy with the money you'd be saving lol.

Side note : 400s are still fast as hell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 400 is great bike, the specs alone do not do it justice. I've had mine for over a year now and I am completely happy with it. It has plenty of torque and cruises the highway just fine at 120-130kph. I'm not a racer, been there done that before after owning a couple of CBR600's.

If you want a full sized comfortable bike, that's easy on the wallet go for the 400R.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 250 does have enough power for all day interstate riding. I've done an Iron Butt Ride where I did 1024 miles under 17 hours. It may have more power, but to me it's not worth it for the gas, insurance, and price of the motorcycle. I have 26,000+ on my 09 and I still wont trade it in. You can make the bike fit you. If you see yourself doing a lot of interstate riding look into doing a sprocket swap. I'm at a 15/42 right now, so I'm not screaming down the interstate at 10,000 RPM. You can find a good used 250 for $3,000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 for the 250

I just bought my 2010 250 and I love it!
I'm also fairly new to riding so I understand your concerns.
I was worried the 250 wouldn't be enough bike,
But after sitting on some larger 600's ( gsxr, Cbr, R6) at the dealership, I felt that as a new rider that was allot of bike.
I take my 250 on the highway all the time, it's got plenty of get up and go, and enough power to pass if you need to.
Plus the price tag and insurance are allot friendlier on your wallet ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't understand how hard it is to choose. Rookie rider or not. I just bought my first bike. Have been riding 2 weeks on my 600 and I already realize its too slow. I weigh 175 Someone your size should not buy a 250. And why would you buy brand new for your first bike? Buy used and get your hands dirty. This is the most rookie thread I've read on this forum so far. good lucky

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is 2 months+ old. I've had my 250 for 2 months now, and i love it. Do i feel under powered? Sure. I bought brand new because i want a fresh bike. Besides, 250's used sell like lightning. Good luck finding one. I love my 250, but yeah i do wanna upgrade. I will next year, I'm going for a ZX6R, but i might keep my 250, i havent decided yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't understand how hard it is to choose. Rookie rider or not. I just bought my first bike. Have been riding 2 weeks on my 600 and I already realize its too slow. I weigh 175 Someone your size should not buy a 250. And why would you buy brand new for your first bike? Buy used and get your hands dirty. This is the most rookie thread I've read on this forum so far. good lucky
215Z....
Very strange response from you... Rookie thread ??? Kawa are selling those 250 like crazy.... there must be a reason...anyway....bla bla bla.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
215zx6r, have you been track riding for the past 2 weeks, is that how you know the 600 is too slow??? :facepalm:

·
Registered
52 Posts
This coming from a novice rider.....lets hope we don't read about you in the obituraries. If you think a 600 is too slow, I hope you are on the track and not the street. I've seen enough rookie riders on 600 supersports taking the dirt nap in the last 30 years.

Watch yourself and remember there are other people on the street besides yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This coming from a novice rider.....lets hope we don't read about you in the obituraries. If you think a 600 is too slow, I hope you are on the track and not the street. I've seen enough rookie riders on 600 supersports taking the dirt nap in the last 30 years.

Watch yourself and remember there are other people on the street besides yourself.
I don't drive like an idiot. By too slow, I really mean off the start. Acceleration. I know it's NOT slow. But I tried my buddies cbr 1000 and after that it's just an obvious difference. I will only go fast on the highway with little to no traffic. That's the only point I was trying to make. I don't know why I wrote my post like a douchebag but my apologies. I think I want a 750.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.