Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Ali, That is awesome . I know better than anyone how much it takes to push a 250 Ninja Past 120 mph for real. I am very proud of you and Owen for getting it done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was definately a compliment to Eric. He outweighs me signifcantly, and in this class where the bikes are relatively small and the HP is fairly low (relative to other motorcycle classes) a significant weight penalty really takes its toll on the bike's ability to pull 50+ lbs extra mass for an entire mile. Think of the total percentage difference in lbs and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Felix, I'll find out exactly what tail that is. It was from an employee in the shop, a bike he used to race but retired.

A.

·
Registered
928 Posts
cool, but is it really that hard to get the little ninja that could over 120mph? I hit 95mph pretty easily. Please understand I'm not dogging anyone. I've only owned a 250 for less than a week so I don't know its capabilities.

·
Registered
656 Posts
cool, but is it really that hard to get the little ninja that could over 120mph? I hit 95mph pretty easily. Please understand I'm not dogging anyone. I've only owned a 250 for less than a week so I don't know its capabilities.
Get it over 120 once no.... but to get it to do it more than 1s without requireing a rebuild yes haha...

Pistons, cams, valves, nitrous, carbs, clutch, body modifications.

Lots... go check out X's build legacy thread thing.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
One thing you have to understand is, your speedo might be reading 95, but you'll be doing less, maybe up to 10%. When I drag race, the effort required getting that extra 10th of a second off is massive when you are playing at the end of the bikes capabilities.

20mph may not sound like much, but in reality it's a massive amount.

Lots of people used to chime in on RacerX saying they've been over 100 it's not hard blah blah... it's a bit different reading a dodgy speedo while riding compared to official time checked speed readings.

If you have a GPS that records max speed on a trip, take it for a burn and see what it says, more accurate than these speedo's that for sure.

Felix

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
120 mph plus 10% is 132 on the speedo. Yes it starts to get interesting getting 110 mph on a 250 ninja. Even that would be about 120 on the speedo.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When riding the bike home my wife was in her car in front of me and she said for the most part she was doing between 70-80 and that's what my speedo said.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Why is it off? When the bike shows a 1/4 tank I fill it up. I'm not taking any chances on that one.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I never thought mine was that far off. Anyone have real comparissons between their speedo and their GPS? I'm sure it reads a little high, but I think the difference would be slight overall.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Mine was a good 10%, you'll find most vehicles have the same. Oddly enough our new i30 is spot on with the GPS... I run a GPS on all vehicles I have to 'check' i'm not speeding :p

I know my ZX6R is off a bit (haven't check on GPS, checked to a car that was checked to GPS), but once I change the sprockets I've got a speedo healer to stick on and adjust. A speedo healer can be used to remove the discrepancy from factory.

Do you have the mile markers used for speedo checks in the US?

Felix

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.