Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at an '09 ninja 250 for/with my friend. The owner said it had been sitting awhile, so I know there could possibly be problems with the battery, carbs, hoses, etc. in the near future. But, the bike started up fairly well for how long he said it had been sitting. It idled below 1000 rpm's and almost died until we put the choke up and then it revved up to around 4k, and eventually 5-6k. Then my friend asked me to test drive it, but when I shifted it into gear and pulled the throttle it died. I started it up again, and just revved it in neutral. If I jerked it slightly and rapidly it would give me some action, but if I pulled and held it as if I was starting from a stop it would sound bogged and die. I just want to know if this is a carb problem or just bad gas from sitting so long. I wouldn't wanna have to clean the carbs, but if I can get away with just cleaning out the tank I'd be happy. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you don't think running some seafoam through the tank would clear things up enough? I just wanna avoid taking the bike apart to clean everything out if possible. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Just make sure the idle adjustment screw is adjusted correctly.
This may be why it is stalling once you blip the throttle.
Start the bike, apply the "Choke" and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. Take off the choke, and see what it idles at. Adjust the idle using the knob on the right side of the bike until it is around 1250-1500rpms.
Other things to look for if it has been sitting for too long is flat spots on the tyres.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Zandit. We probably could have let it warm up a little bit more you're right. I messed with the idle adjustment a little but that didn't seem to effect the performance other than adjust the idling speed. I've been doing research and if 2+2=4 than it looks like it's gonna need some cleaning. Thanks for the response, and I'll check out the tires. Didn't even think about that.

·
1,458 Posts
You have bad gas and carb problems. Your carbs are dirty due to the gas. However, the gas in the tank does not need to be treated. Unhook the hose from the carb. And drain tank completely. Then add a full can of seafoam and 1 gallon of 93 octane fuel. Slosh the gas in the tank by rocking the bike back and forth and let it sit for a few minutes. Run the bike at idle for about 15 minutes to ensure the new seafoam treated gas has made it into the carbs. Let sit for a full day then drain the tank again by disconnecting the hose from the carb. Using new 93 octane put another gallon in the tank and run bike your gas will no longer be a problem. If the bike is not running good. It will be the carb at that point. However the seafoam will loosen most of the grime in the carb and you may find it fixes itself by running the bike for a little
While while its rough. If not. You will need to clean the carbs. Hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks byte2022. I'll tell him about it. I just wish my friend already had this thing and we could take care of it ourselves and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You symptoms are indicative of clogged jets. Tons of Ninja 250 owner/riders have had the same issue and all have had to clean the carbs manually. There's no way around it.

However, I do understand not wanting to remove the carbs and that's totally up to you. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Seafoam. Sort of over rated and overused IMO. Others swear by it, others do not.

If you use it, use the recommended dosage correctly and put it directly into the fuel tank only. Another alternative is Star Tron Fuel Treatment. Star Tron also makes a marine formula, however you don't have to worry about over dosing or getting the mix ratio wrong. You can buy it the same places you find SeaFoam. The stuff works great and has some real good reviews.

Star Tron seems to be a better fuel stabilizer and you can't over dose with it, like you can Sea Foam. Star Tron comes in three different concentrations for mixing convenience. There is a small engine, diesel and marine formula. I use the marine formula because it's more concentrated so you use less. An 8 fl. oz. bottle treats up to 128 gallons of gas. I've been using it in my cars, bike and lawn equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help everybody. Earl, those are two ugly carburetors. It's time for me to get the hands dirty and clean this little twerp.

·
1,458 Posts
scars2remindus said:
Thanks for all the help everybody. Earl, those are two ugly carburetors. It's time for me to get the hands dirty and clean this little twerp.
Ummmmmm yeah thats not from sea foam. Thats someone who put something into the carbs cause seafoam doesnt enter through the intake. That looks like paint and to be honest that wouldnt enter the intake either because their is a filter in the way. Who ever put this picture up could have done a better job

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts