Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I recently bought a used 2011 Black Ninja 1000 with only 800 miles on it.
I've been enjoying my ride so far but there is a major issue I've been facing.
The bike puts out so much heat and literally burns my leg (calf area) sometimes even when the ambient temperature is only 80F.
In many reviews riders mention that they didn't have any heat issue at all.
The metal frame area, where you rest your leg, becomes really hot while riding and stays hot for a while even after stopping the engine.
The exhaust itself cools more quickly than the frame and the engine.
It has enough coolant and the dealer said it is properly broken in and serviced just before I bought it.
I've owned 3 other bikes before, including 4 cylinders, but never had this issue.
Does anyone have this issue? Is something wrong with the bike? I don't want to spend too much money to the dealers just to check it out.
Please help.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I noticed this on my '99 EX500 today, for me it was on the left side, lower leg while I was in motion and the temp showed around 1/4 or so, not very high. It was just very hot, but didn't burn my leg, was just uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a search online.
Quite a lot of people say they get a lot of heat when stopped at lights from the Catalyst underneath the bike. Maybe that's ur heat source?
Thanks. That's what I heard from other riders in rider forums as well. But none of them has this burnt feeling as me though.
Ninja 1000 doesn't have temp gauge and the heat was mostly from below engine both sides, quickly raises up, heats the metal frame & even fairings and stay hot longer than exhausts.
I'm taking it to the dealership just to check it out.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Thanks. That's what I heard from other riders in rider forums as well. But none of them has this burnt feeling as me though.
Ninja 1000 doesn't have temp gauge and the heat was mostly from below engine both sides, quickly raises up, heats the metal frame & even fairings and stay hot longer than exhausts.
I'm taking it to the dealership just to check it out.
Good idea...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....I've owned 3 other bikes before, including 4 cylinders, but never had this issue.
What were your other bikes and how were they configured?
Bigger bikes are going to generate more heat. Even in temps around 80 degrees the cooling system on most bike tend to start working a little harder. As long as your fan is running, the temp light/oil light is not coming on and coolant is not coming out, I'd consider it normal.

Why are your calves being burned? Is that from radiant heat or are you squeezing the the bike with your thighs and legs? Wearing long pants?

Keep this in mind. Internal cylinder temps can get up well over 1000 degrees, exhaust temps can range from about 800-300 degrees.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What were your other bikes and how were they configured?
Bigger bikes are going to generate more heat. Even in temps around 80 degrees the cooling system on most bike tend to start working a little harder. As long as your fan is running, the temp light/oil light is not coming on and coolant is not coming out, I'd consider it normal.

Why are your calves being burned? Is that from radiant heat or are you squeezing the the bike with your thighs and legs? Wearing long pants?

Keep this in mind. Internal cylinder temps can get up well over 1000 degrees, exhaust temps can range from about 800-300 degrees.
I had Ninja 250, Ninja 500 and GSX650F (inline 4) and there were always heat in these bike but not as much as in Ninja 1000. Maybe you are right its a bigger bike and running hotter.
The heat starts as radiant, heats up frame & even fairing and make me really uncomfortable in lower part of the legs and I see my skin has turned red.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I had Ninja 250, Ninja 500 and GSX650F (inline 4) and there were always heat in these bike but not as much as in Ninja 1000. Maybe you are right its a bigger bike and running hotter.
The heat starts as radiant, heats up frame & even fairing and make me really uncomfortable in lower part of the legs and I see my skin has turned red.
Maybe u have some issue with ur cat, if u have one in that area?
I myself would get a dealer to check it out.
If skin is getting so hot as to turn red it must be quite hot.
Here's an idea....
Maybe put some sort of temp guage/oven temp guage in that area n see just how hot it gets.
Guess that's something i'd do just to see how hot it is getting in the area.
I'm thinking it must be getting 300 F or more to be so bothersome.
Worth a try to at least know.
:thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....The heat starts as radiant, heats up frame & even fairing and make me really uncomfortable in lower part of the legs and I see my skin has turned red.
If you are looking down and see skin, you might want to stop riding naked. Although it might be hot and you want to feel the cool breeze flowing across your skin, pants and jackets have a purpose and that is top protect the skin, not only from road rash but from heat, sand, bugs and weather as well.

I'd take my chances with some warm legs over possible 2nd & 3rd degree burns any day.

You're a grown ass man, and you've been riding long enough to know the drill about gear, so it's up to you to decide what the trade off will be for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are looking down and see skin, you might want to stop riding naked. Although it might be hot and you want to feel the cool breeze flowing across your skin, pants and jackets have a purpose and that is top protect the skin, not only from road rash but from heat, sand, bugs and weather as well.

I'd take my chances with some warm legs over possible 2nd & 3rd degree burns any day.

You're a grown ass man, and you've been riding long enough to know the drill about gear, so it's up to you to decide what the trade off will be for you.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't riding naked. I saw my skin turned red in the lower legs after I stopped. I always wear long pants & proper riding gear while riding. There is no way I can ride N1K with bare legs, they would be toast :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
1,458 Posts
Enough of the crap that doesnt matter. A bike should not burn you no matter what bike or what the exhaust. Sounds to me that you have either a manufacturing defect where the coating on the frame which is added to stop the heat transfer was not done correctly or your missing the heat shields which as glued to the frame or you have an exhaust leak which is putting blowing directly to the frame. Definitely take it in for warranty service

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Enough of the crap that doesnt matter. A bike should not burn you no matter what bike or what the exhaust. Sounds to me that you have either a manufacturing defect where the coating on the frame which is added to stop the heat transfer was not done correctly or your missing the heat shields which as glued to the frame or you have an exhaust leak which is putting blowing directly to the frame. Definitely take it in for warranty service
Crap....did ya...ll hear him.......:whistling:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.