Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has only happened to me (I don't see how I can be the only one), but I wanted to ask for some advice.

Two times now while riding my 250 at night, I've come up on some on-coming traffic on a two lane road, and have damn near collided with the vehicles head on. Why? Because it's either an unfamiliar road, or a part of the road that I'm not paying attention to.. or whatever the reason, I see two sets of headlights coming up, assume they're one behind the other on a curve (so I can see both cars headlights), but it's some asshat guy in a vehicle passing another one.

I can't tell the difference between two cars stacked up one behind the other, or a car passing another one. Both times, it's been the fact that I ride on the right side of my lane that has saved my ass. That's how effing close those assholes cut it.

How do I help my potentially life-ending situation?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That sounds like a potentially dangerous situation to be in. Being in the far right lane probably saved your life, but on the other hand you may have looked like a slow moving vehicle (scooter or moped). Make your self more visible. As soon as you see that happen again, (1.) flash those brights. it may annoy one driver but it will get their attention. (2.) Toot the horn! (3.) Make yourself more visible at night and wear something reflective. (you may think you will look like a geek, but you will be a live one) I keep two different kinds of vest in my back pack for night riding. (4.) slow down when approaching oncoming cars at night, move to the middle of the lane to put light on the road stripes and in the drivers field of vision. This may not completely stop cagers from being impatient asses, but it may delay their actions by a second or two. Hopefully they won't be drunk drivers and be slow as hell.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ride in the left side of the road with the mentality "Motherfucker, I'm a truck, you move"
12 months going and it hasn't killed me yet. It's given me some storys to tell.. But I'm alive to tell them.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Some really good ideas, flashy lights, loud sounds, weaving back and forth. Anything to let them know they need to get out of your lane ASAP...

Ratty, I do the same thing. So whether we're right or wrong, I'm with ya.

I would reserve the riding wide right for the "last minute" avoidance thing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is fellas, that by the time I noticed they were in my lane and I wasn't just looking at a vehicle behind another vehicle, I wouldn't have time to even shit my pants. I'm doing 60mph, and the drivers are doing at least that. It normally happens near dawn, when visibility is a bit sketchy. Headlights don't shine as bright on the road as night, but it's not bright enough to see a vehicle, or even its silhouette.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Carry two signal flares, attached to your fairings. At the first glimpse of headlights, ignite signal flares. Then, remove flare gun from back pack and fire directly at the eyes of ignorant cage driver. After one or both cars have wrecked, sprinkle a little crack on them (thanks Chappelle) and THAT'S how you solve the problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.