Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm female, from the UK and am currently rebuilding a Kawasaki fx400r. I hope some of you have heard of it, if not it is a japanese/us import and is the fairing less version of a gpz/gpx 400r. (muscle bike/streetfighter edition) I stripped it completely and parts have been shot blast, powder coated, sprayed, cleaned, replaced ect. I'm now at the stage where everything is back together and the next step is to get her started :) Bought the bike in August last year as a non starter (been sat in a shed for 5 years)
Wondering if any of you can help please? I'm after a seat lock, it's the only part I can't find! Does anyone know if there was any other model of Kawasaki that had the same lock? Thanks! V

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for that I will ring them tomorrow! :) here are some pics...

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike in the back ground is a Harley fat boy.. Not mine! It's my mates barn that I've been using as my garage was too small.. Already has my 125 yam ybr in it! My DAS is booked in for August and I'm hoping to have the Kawasaki on the rd ready for then! I only get 5 or so hours to work on it every Saturday and the whole project has cost more than I thought but at the end it will be my bike that I re built how I wanted. It will be standard apart from the laser slip on can (standard can had rotted through so cut at link pipe and slip on put on) will post a couple more pics! Thanks for all the support guys and Any advice or tips are welcome.. I've done all the work myself and has been a huge learning curve.. Thank god for a Haynes manuall! Lol

Attachments

· Registered
1,438 Posts
That's a very impressive job. I can only imagine the geat sense of pride and satisfaction you must have at the end of a total restoration like that! Thanks for posting all the pictures. Is it just me or is there something really beautiful about a bare motorcycle frame?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the frame... When I got it back from the powder coaters I was truly in love! I love the colour black, the frame, rocker cover and headlight bracket are all in matt black and the plastics in satin.. Was thinking about putting decals back on but not sure yet, i quite like the clean look! And big thanks to KURT as I now have a seat lock on its way to me!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a question if any one can help? The engine is dry at the moment and will be filling her with oil this weekend to try and get her started.. I know I need 10w40 but should I use mineral or semi synthetic?

· Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the site ver17y. I am impressed with what you've done so far. EPIC! I wish I had the drive to do a total bike rebuild. I'm too lazy to put my Honda shadow back together.... And it's just the got the tank and fenders off of it. My hat off to ya and hope to see more of the progress.

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Just a question if any one can help? The engine is dry at the moment and will be filling her with oil this weekend to try and get her started.. I know I need 10w40 but should I use mineral or semi synthetic?
I'll give you my un-professional opinion, hopefully someone smarter that me will chime in. Synthetic is generally not recommended for a new motor. Regular dinosaur oil should be used throughout the break-in period and until the motor has some miles on it. This ensures the rings are well sealed. After that, synthetic oil is a great option.

Clearly, the motor before you is not new. The question is, how new are the guts? I guess that if you are putting new pistons and rings back in the old cylinders, you should treat it like a new motor requiring some break-in period. Run standard oil, change it after a short time, then again with a few hundred miles on. Get 1000 or so miles on the motor, then I think the synthetic would be a wise choice for your older bike.

· Registered
420 Posts
According to my mechanic at work (Kawi dealership), synthetic is fine in Kawis right off the start, its suzuki thats a little picky and its not recommended until 1600kms. However, regular is cheaper and you're gonna be changing it more frequently, so why spend the money on synthetic if regular will do you just fine... at least until your new motor parts are happy in their new home.

By the way, I have to commend you... you've done incredible work! I love wrenching on my bike and its nice to see another female do the same! Welcome to the forum and I'm interested to see the finished product! Keep us updated!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again thanks for making me feel so welcome guys and for all the help! When I bought the bike it had only done 10,000 miles From when it was born (it's in kph though) and when I had a look at the engine it was pretty clean. Oil filter and plugs have been changed along with a new head gasket and rocker cover gasket. Pistons and rings were fine, cam chain a little loose so tightened. My mate (who is a mechanic) did advise/show/help all the way through. Will go for mineral oil to get her started and then and do and oil change after that then!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all, it's been a few months since I've been on here and although not quite completed due to life events, lack of time and money and a spell in hospital, the fx400r isn't far off completion now. Here's a few pics to show what I've been up to. All that's left to do is to fit the carbs and get it

running!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.