Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. New rider from GA here. In the process of getting my bike still, and taking my time. I wanna do it right and be as safe as I can while having the most enjoyment. Planning on taking the MSF course as soon as possible (still only 17 til December) and getting my license as soon as I can. Starting on a ninja 250 and I'm super excited! My brother has a Yamaha R6 and I can't wait to ride with him. Just noticed a lot of good info and camaraderie here so figured I'd register now and maybe get some help through the process if I needed any. Thanks and I'm happy to be here!

·
Registered
56 Posts
What's up man! I too did both, the MSF coarse is kinda slow in the beginning BUT it is spooked helpful an kinda fun:p ... Definitely recommend!! And as far as the ninja 250, best starter bike in my opinion. I'm currently still using it with around 3500 miles under the belt and still going!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Welcome Chase, +1 on Calialex's comment ... the MSF is invaluable, and even more invaluable is the N250 as starter ... I got my moto this summer and only have 1,500 miles under my belt ... I want more :)

Take safety seriously and you'll enjoy the moto ... Happy riding when you get to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I got a good fitting Joe Rocket Jacket and two different helmets so far. Found them all virtually brand new and for sone pretty good prices. All DOT approved and no wear or tear. Been wearing the two helmets around trying to decide between an HJC and a KBC. Think I like the HJC better, it fits better and doesn't fog up too much. Kinda wanna take em out for a ride to see how they hold up though. But all I need are some new gloves (got some old decent motocross ones from a friend but looking for some with better protection) and maybe some boots. Super excited for all of it and can't wait to get out on the road. Quick question to any with experience. My dad used to ride motorcycles but my mother is scared to death of them. She refuses to believe that I'm getting one. Just wondering if anyone knows how on earth I can help ease my mothers mind a little? I'm gonna keep it safe and I want her to know that hahaha.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dad used to ride motorcycles but my mother is scared to death of them. She refuses to believe that I'm getting one. Just wondering if anyone knows how on earth I can help ease my mothers mind a little?
That sounds alot like my position. I am young also and got an 06 ZX6R. I still need to find a way to tell her about it other than bring it over to her house.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yeah so far the plan is to keep it at a friends house until she gets used to the idea, because my brother owns a Yamaha R6 and she's fine with him riding. Only difference is, he's 24 and I'm 17. Frankly though, he's totaled 2 cars and gotten plenty of speeding tickets. I've never hit anyone before and got my first speeding ticket last weekend. But she doesn't even know about that yet hahaha shhhhh. I'm working that out with my father instead. I think I'm gonna kinda do it as a joke one day and have my brother leave on his yellow R6 and see if she notices that he comes home on a completely different bike (either green or black 250 ninja).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To ease momma fear ... Never gonna do it. She's your mom and will always worry.

To help a tad, you can talk to her about you taking the MSF course, and how you will take it slow, ride local streets for awhile, you might want to ask if she has someone she trust to go ride with you ... Just some ideas.

:Sent via the NewNinja App:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best advice to a new young rider....ride a bicycle on the road every day to and from school/work for three months. Get used to predicting traffic and handling possible emergencies in "slow motion" because on the motorcycle it all happens really fast!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
cyclotron said:
Best advice to a new young rider....ride a bicycle on the road every day to and from school/work for three months. Get used to predicting traffic and handling possible emergencies in "slow motion" because on the motorcycle it all happens really fast!!
+1 on that.

:Sent via the NewNinja App:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Props to you man! Rollin around on two wheels is like no other. Before you know it you'll feel more comfortable riding on a bike then in a car... May sound funny right now, but trust me, if you get hooked as fast as I'm sure most do when you're not riding you'll be on edge until you do. As far as courses go, the mandatory safety course is outstanding, but if you wanna get your feet wet look for a sports bike handling course. I took all my courses though the Marines when I was enlisted and cornering after the handling course feels so much more controllable and fluid. Welcome to the bike world man, try to get rid of those chicken strips ASAP too, gotta make love to the road...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.