Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Pretty cool, but I still say give me my old, regular dog box... :p If my shifts aren't smooth, it's because I'm the problem... The auto mode would prolly really help on fuel economy though... A CVT in this case would be cool too! Thanks for sharing eric!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Joe, I didn't take it as a joke... :p There's a fellow I know, and actually quite a large group of amputees, and other people who don't have full function of both their hands, that this bike, and the Spyder are excellent for! I would rather see them ride something like this, than nothing at all, ya know? So I think you're right on the mark there!

Concerning the shifting, I agree with you.... The guy in the Honda video was shifting exceptionally slow and hard to illustrate the new transmission.... And our little ninja's are SLOW in shifting compared to the bigger bikes, especially 600's and such. Those shifts before you've even fully completed the thought! :D I guess, they shift the way the Ninjette turns, eh?

Like Crushed said though, I'd personally rather pick my own gears, but this design definitely has it's place in the world!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
um, basically you have 2 output shafts, one from each gear set, each with it's own clutch. The gears in each gear set look like this: 1,3,5 and 2,4,6. If you're familiar with how a manual transmission works you know that all the odd gears are located on one shaft, and all the even gears on another. Essentially what they're doing is turning the lay-shaft into an out-put shaft.

So, with all this talk of shafts done.... The end result is a quicker, smoother shifts. That's it. It still responds to power/torque the same way as any other transmission would. If you give the bike a hand-full of throttle and dump the clutch it will spin the rear-tire, and maybe wheelie uncontrollably. It's meant to smooth the shift point, so when you're cranked over, going balls out on the track and have to shift mid-corner, or while significantly leaned over the risk of breaking the rear tire loose is significantly less.

And this "mapping" of the tranny you speak of, I'm not sure I understand the question. The transmission is a force multiplier. So basically you map the fuel/air values for the engine, taking into account fuel efficiency, power, etc, etc, and then based on how much power you get, you program the transmission to shift at certain points. For instance, if the throttle is 1/4 open and opening but you're exhaust temp is too cold it means you're running rich and the bike will downshift to provide you with the accell you desire (hence the continually opening throttle), and to run faster to burn up the extra fuel in the system (hence the colder exhaust). It's a very inter-dependent system, looking at all different values to make it's decisions.

So I'm sorry, I must be stupid, but I still don't understand your question.

Do you mean how quickly does the tranny decide to shift? For instance, you're rolling in 6th gear and all of a sudden you need power to get out of the way, and you wack the throttle to WOT, will the bike jerk forward, or will it be smooth acceleration?

Well, I doubt this system will be in 6th gear at anything below 60-70mph, although you'd have to ask HOnda personally, and I think yes, if it were in 6th, it would jerk and chug chug for a bit while it shifted to a more appropriate gear and got you out of there. But I doubt the bike will ever put you in a situation like that. They're probably programming the shift points to be within a few RPM's of the power-band of the bike, so rolling down main street at 35mph the bike will probably be in 2nd or 3rd anyway, so you'll have that snap available. Unless you have it in the "fuel efficient/slow boat to china" setting, in which case you won't, but then you had it in the wrong setting to be doing such things with... Um, I hope that helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
it did i learned a bit.

well for a clearifier 'your write up answered my question but this helps unconfuse you'

in a car 'automatic' if you jam the gas the shifts are very jerky and not smooth at all. i was wondering if they had a better system or if you smashed the throttle if they would be just as jerky and crappy shifts. but clearly they wont be .

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
ah yes, that's much clearer. Haha, and yes, as you got from above, there won't be that jerk...

The technology is much like what the new Audi's, BMW's and Merc have in them.

Just for a fun fact, most autos in a car don't even have a clutch.... :p A Torque converter is what's used in it's place, and they use a planetary gear set as opposed to a manual "dog box".

www.howstuffworks.comhttp:// FTW - this is what I did instead of doing my homework since Middle School... :p Yea, I'm a gear nerd....

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I think you are too used to old style autos buddy! These new twin clutch setups are seamless and fitted to sorts of performance cars nowadays - Porcshe - PDK gearbox, Lamborghini - E-Drive, etc, etc, etc!!
These style of boxes are now findingtheir way into everyday cars like Ford and GM.
The Honda gearbox from all reports, is smooth, powerful and unfortunately very heavy, but the bike has that much go, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have an olds achieva '97' i believe.

I hit the gas and it's a jerky ride till about 70... that's why I asked.

I don't own a high class car or anything like that so I wouldn't have known about their tranny's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.