Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

So as most everyone knows the some of the our bikes came with a dunlop tire stock. Ive never felt comfortable with that tire in the back. It always feels like its going to slide out on me when im cornering and after a long ride, they dont even feel that warm.

I've been looking around for a new tire but our options are sooo limited for a 130/70/17. After looking around the options start to open up a bit if you increase the size to a 140/70/17 but i know doing so ads unneeded weight and will hinder the performance. One of the things i dont like about the 140/70/17 is that the sidewalls gets wayyy to thick and that can increase your chances for sidewall flex.

And even more .. if u go all the way up to a 150/60/17 or a 70 there are a lot more options to throw . I see that a bunch of the Indonesian members put 150's and even 160s on their bikes. Track riders that spoke to pirelli reps said that a 150 is the largest tire for a 3.5 inch rim. And they said that there is a lot of tire left even when they reach max lean so a 150 has too much rubber that wont be used.

After all that. i know we've talked about bigger tires in other threads but what are your opinions for a better tire brand?

Thanks people!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i saw a vid of some guy who put a bigger version of the stock dunlop. a 150/70/17 dunno why he put that tire back on instead of something thats more sticky.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red Dragon said:
Will a 150 fit without rubbing?
yeh according to a bunch of people in other forums, they are able to throw on 150/70/17s with out having any problems.
Another guy said that a 150/60/17 fit with no problems and according to him a 160/60 would be able to fit as well. They all say that the tire is clear of the chain guard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's good info, I'm sure I'll need a new tire by next fall. I already have 5100 miles on my bike. My brother-in-law got a dual compound on his busa and he loves it. It's a harder rubber in the middle which makes it last longer and softer on the edge for grip.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Red Dragon said:
That's good info, I'm sure I'll need a new tire by next fall. I already have 5100 miles on my bike. My brother-in-law got a dual compound on his busa and he loves it. It's a harder rubber in the middle which makes it last longer and softer on the edge for grip.
I so wanted some of those Avons on my bike, but alas, they don't make them that small (it's also a radial tire I believe, and we're running biased tires)... I just got a new back tire (avon), I think a "roadrunner"? I'll check in the morning if anybody's interested... I'll keep you posted on how it handles...

Something interesting my experienced friend at the shop pointed out... If you put a tire on a rim that doesn't have the same width, you're putting excessive strain on the sidewalls.... Since these are biased tires, and they re-shape a lot more than radials, things are thrown a little out of wack... He told me to feel free to go stickier, but not bigger. Kawi designed the bike with these tires, so they should probably stay with this...

An old ex-racer friend of mine told me once that there are two things motorcycle manufacturers design a motorcycle around, the spark plugs, and the tires.... Don't change their designed parameters....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I asked the dealer if I need a larger tire when I bought mine. They said that it would effect the handling. I will probabally get a softer/stickier tire for better grip. They factory tires take alot to get good and hot. Yes please post a review of what you think about the tire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey spooh thats good info thanks. yeh let us know what tires u have when u get the chance and how they compare to the stock dunlops.. if u had those.

oh and for the sidewall on bigger tires.. with the stock size of 130/70/17 u get a 91mm height and if u go to 140/70 the height jumps up to 98mm.. thats why i think a 140/70 is a bad idea.. youd have too tall of a sidewall which can lead to flexing.. but if u go to a 150/60 ur down to a 90mm height ... less sidewall. and with that size you have a lot more tires to choose from but i do see what ur saying about changing the bikes design.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
and with a 150/60, even though you're height is the same, you're sidewalls are at a different angle, and not perpendicular like a 140.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spooph said:
and with a 150/60, even though you're height is the same, you're sidewalls are at a different angle, and not perpendicular like a 140.
so they are going to be outward? i feel like this should be obvious but i want to be sure

G

·
I was doing a bit of research on this too, alot of people seem to think you may come into problems with rubbing etc when going for 150/70/17
But they mentioned it should be perfectly fine with 140/70/17 - think thats what I'll upgrade to soon too :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yehhhhh!!! So im finally reunited with Jasmine! Its been 30 days since ive ridden her. Warmed her up for awhile and we went to a dealer and picked up a new rear tire. Im soooo stoked!!

Its a 150/60/17 in a ContiAttack. The width is not much wider than the 130 but u can tell it is wider. It fit onto the rim like a glove and there is a lot of room left between the tire and swing arm and the chain guard. Good thing i changed the tire cuz there was a small gash on the center of the tire.

The stock dunlop rear tire feels like a brick compared to the ContiAttack even though its much smaller. The ride is softer and it doesnt chase the grooves on the highway. I havent taken turns hard on it cuz im still waiting for oils to dissipate off the tire. I might get some sand paper to speed up the process. But all in all i was kinda sketch by the size whether or not it would fit and it did.

Once i break in the tire ill see how well the tire handles. And ill get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice do u have a tire in mind? the only reason why i went 150/60 was cuz i didnt want a taller side wall and cuz there was a larger selection of tires.

let me know what u end up going with

G

·
I was thinking Pirelli, but with what we pay here whatever suits my wallet better :D
I'll post up a picture when I decide which one to pick - I know what you mean though, I always feel I'm about to slide out on corners with my stock tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK, so you guys sold me on buying a new tire. I stopped by my local shop and they said they could get me an Avon 140width tire installed for $140 or the 130width battlax for $125. Is this a decent price, which one should I go for?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts