Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider with a 2011 650r. I went for my first long ride yesterday. I was wondering what is the best rpm to keep the bike at? Should I be shifting all the way into the highest gear and ride there? Once I get on the highway I'd be traveling between 80-100km/hr.

New Ginger Ninja

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to the site Jeremy, great to have you on board!
I have the same bike, so this will be an easy one to answer.
As Byte mentioned, the bike will tell you when it's labouring, but one advantage to our bikes is the torque they generate down low in the rev range.
Where some of the other bikes will need to drop back a gear, our can power out of it. Admittedly, it's not a perfect solution, but if you're lazy, it's workable!
I normally see myself in 6th on the highways running at about 4.5-5k revs @ around 110kph(So glad to talk with someone who works with the correct terminology!!)
What are you calling a long ride? 100-200kms? Just so you have a goal to work towards, I rode 1,119kms in 16hrs a couple of years ago, and looking to do it again when my summer rolls around.
Enjoy the ride, and let me know if you have any further questions.

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the site Jeremy, great to have you on board!
I have the same bike, so this will be an easy one to answer.
As Byte mentioned, the bike will tell you when it's labouring, but one advantage to our bikes is the torque they generate down low in the rev range.
Where some of the other bikes will need to drop back a gear, our can power out of it. Admittedly, it's not a perfect solution, but if you're lazy, it's workable!
I normally see myself in 6th on the highways running at about 4.5-5k revs @ around 110kph(So glad to talk with someone who works with the correct terminology!!)
What are you calling a long ride? 100-200kms? Just so you have a goal to work towards, I rode 1,119kms in 16hrs a couple of years ago, and looking to do it again when my summer rolls around.
Enjoy the ride, and let me know if you have any further questions.
agreed... 4500-5000 rpm is my comfort zone too
it gives you a smooth and pleasant engine humming... the bike sounds happy

and i find that this rpm range also provides good engine braking :thumb:
... very handy on twisty roads, as a smart way of controlling your speed

· Registered
1 Posts
I was testing out riding at different rpms the other day. And it really depended what kind of riding I was doing where the the bike performed best. For highway cruising 4000-5000rpm depending on the speed. On a twisty canyon or mountain road you can drop a gear or two and run the rpms a little higher, you are still in the power band. Your deceleration will be quicker when you let off the gas and acceleration will still be great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.