Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,

Just thought of starting a thread that specifically goes over a few training tips and a safe process for new riders who just got their N250R to go from taking the MSF course to riding in the highway. Some advice would be to hone on your skills at a parking lot before riding in the streeets. This might be obvious to some but not to all. Then possibly only ride in the early AM or late evening etc. If you feel this is useless - burn my thread, just be gentle. If not, post your process from MSF to Highway!:popcorn:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd be happy to help you guys out some time. I live in Webster, work in henrietta and always out riding. I'm 28 and had my first bike at 4 years old so I have the general idea down lol.

As far as your question about hints and tips. Get yourself protective gear and consider getting your bike some too. Poop happens when you are learning so make the proper precautions. It's cheaper to replace pegs or a street cage verses oem plastics. You probably want to trailer the bike to where ever you are going to learn. Make sure it's ok with the owner. A lot of places get cranky when it comes to people "playing" in their parking lots. Try to make sure it's a clean and dry place too. The list really goes on and on but go slow and don't rush it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When I did the course, I was havin' a ton of fun and going for things without thinking too much about the outcome... because it wasn't my bike. When I started on my own I was terrified and struggled a bit because I didn't want anything to happen to her. I started with some slow practice in a parking lot and practiced starting and stopping, and quick braking. I didn't ride very far until I was sure that I could instictively grab for the right controls if something happened. That took about a week and a half. (I had zero experience with a manual transmission and had only ever ridden as a passenger before I took MSF)

Then i started riding on the roads but only on non-major streets and only at times when I knew there would be minimal traffic. I actually preferred to ride early in the morning(especially on sundays) and late evening. I felt less rushed and pressured by other drivers at those times and it gave me the time and space to go at my own pace. That kind of stuck, because Sunday's are still the day that I spend some quality time with my bike lol

Gradually I started adding in longer trips, trips in heavier traffic, different times, different weather conditions and such. Spending more time with my bike made me feel much more confident and less paranoid. As for highway, I started driving on the highway more in my car and trained myself to watch absolutely everyone and try to predict their next move. I got really good at this and it made me feel less freaked out by riding on the highway.

That's kind of my take on things from the perspective of confidence and the mental obstacles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took the MSF and frankly felt pretty confident from the experience. Then disaster struck.

The day I took delivery of my N250 someone turned left in front of me. I tried to do my best panic stop but the rear wheel locked and I low sided. The whole left side of the bike was pretty scratched and the shifter pretzeled; enough for insurance to declare a total loss. My gear did its job and I got some nice road rash on my left knee.

Now with the new bike I admit to being a bit of a head case. My riding involves going to a local park during quiet times and practicing in the parking lot and riding the park roads. This has been invaluable to me since it has really helped me to become acquainted with my bike and gain confidence.

Other than that I "practice" when driving my car and that continues to be valuable.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a follow up to this thread.

Once I got my bike, I began riding around my new home. It's a new development so we do not have much traffic. perfect for starting out. (about 1 day) Then I started riding about .5miles away on local roads and twice on a short highway trip. (roughly two weeks) Now I am planning on riding to work this coming Monday. All my practice runs were after 10pm.

I've had two oopsy's.
1-I was riding on a main street (two way, tho to three lanes both ways) and as I approached the street light, it turned yellow. My first instinct was to not beat the yellow light, my second instinct was to brake on time ... i did break but as I was braking the bike wobbled. I did use both brakes. Needless to say, I stopped I was good, because there was no other cars around. I did end up past the light though.

2-I was practicing flikability on an S turn. I was fine the first turn, but on the second, I noticed there was a parked car that I seemed to be heading towards .... I then let go of the throttle and continued to ride wide, I thought i was going to hit the parked car so I placed the bike upright and did a quick brake, which led to a light skid forward almost to a nice lawn.

These experiences really helped be an advocate for learning in a timely fashion-which would be on quiet streets, with gear and with a trusted friend or family rider.

All in all, I am learning and loving alll of it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.