Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Pipercross Performance Air Filter

It was approaching the time for me to replace my air filter, so when looking for a replacement, I ran across this new air filter. Pipercross Performance Air Filters http://www.calsportbike.com/px/
They have been in business over 25 years across the pond. They are the OEM filter on Triumph Motorcycles, so that should give them a little credibility. They have a long history in England and they provide air filters for the British military mechanized division, Bombardier, Lotus, Aston Martin, Mercedes Ilmor, Cosworth engines, Ford's M-Sport team World Rally Car, Factory Ducati and Rizla Suzuki and Pegram Leo Vince Racing, just to name a few. They also claim that their air filters "consistently outperform paper and cotton-gauze rivals to supply air to the engine - even when dirty! This is thanks to the multilaminate construction used in every Pipercross performance air filter. Layers of varying porosity foam all work together to trap different sized particles."

Also Pipercross is a Official partner for the 250 & 600 Ninja Trophy http://blog.pipercross.net/?p=304http://blog.pipercross.net/?p=304

So where foam filters are concerned, can this technologically advanced Pipercross foam filter be better than stock (offering the same particle protection) but breathe as well as a K&N or BMC filter?
I was curious to find out and at the price of $31.00 (much cheaper than K&N, BMC or JFC), I ordered one from Sportbiketrackgear.com.
(Oh, and the picture on their package is none other than a Kawasaki.)

The filter arrived today so, I immediately set out to install it. The first thing that is noticeable is that the filter is pre-oiled in the package and it has a tacky feel to it. Looking at it in comparison to the stock filter, you can see the 3 stages / levels of filtration. One thing that I did earlier was to shim the needles with one shim and modify the snorkel by cutting off (2) two inches. By cutting off the two inches, I still have the protection of the snorkel but a little less restricted airflow. Because the Pipercross is supposed to flow more air, I did not want to lean out too much. Also I ride in winter and did not want too much cold air either. After cleaning out the airbox, and reinstalling the snorkel, the filter fit very nicely. The bike had not been started in 5 days, (today it is in the low forty’s and snow on the ground) so using the choke it started right up, in fact I had to turn the choke down a little, to let it warm up nicely. There is a noticeable deepness in the sound of the exhaust, but nowhere close to what it sounds like having the snorkel completely removed.

Took the bike out for a ride in about 46 degrees. Start up seems to have improved a little for cold weather running. From idle to about 5k feels normal, above 5k it feels to pull a little better also. Throttle response was smooth, no hiccups or dips. Cruising where I usually do (between 6.5k and 8K) everything seemed smoother, revs to 10-11k came quicker, and to top it off it sounds better too. Hopefully tomorrow with some high 50 degree weather and some sun, I'll be able to see any other changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Two questions for ya...

How much could an air filter effect the sound of the exhaust? :rolleyes:

What was the condition of your old filter? Is the foam on this replacement, really that much freer flowing?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two questions for ya...

How much could an air filter effect the sound of the exhaust? :rolleyes:

What was the condition of your old filter? Is the foam on this replacement, really that much freer flowing?
It is not just the air filter that has affected the sound. My snorkel is also shortened and the little resonator (black divider) removed. It sounds close to when I had the whole snorkel removed. It does not sound like an aftermarket exhaust but it does not sound like it did when it was completely stock.
The condition of the stock filter appeared OK other than being slightly stained, but inside the frame and airbox before cleaning and oiling it was very compressed. The foam on the Pipercross filter is very porous except for the last 1/3. The density of that portion looks to be equivalent or better than the stock filter. The Pipercross filter is also a little stiffer than the stock filter.
I wrote Pipercross to find out if they had any data. They did not, but they said there is a Kawasaki race team that has done the testing and is using them in their race bikes. My thought is; "Why would any Kawasaki race team run an aftermarket filter if it does not help performance?"
For me,the throttle response fells better and the bike pulls smoother, especially the way I ride it most of the time ( between 6.5-8k rpm). It is my understanding that a better flowing airbox can help with performance. Will I spend the time and money to put it on a dyno for minimal performance gains? Probably not unless I do some more carb work.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It is not just the air filter that has affected the sound. My snorkel is also shortened and the little resonator (black divider) removed. It sounds close to when I had the whole snorkel removed. It does not sound like an aftermarket exhaust but it does not sound like it did when it was completely stock.
The condition of the stock filter appeared OK other than being slightly stained, but inside the frame and airbox before cleaning and oiling it was very compressed. The foam on the Pipercross filter is very porous except for the last 1/3. The density of that portion looks to be equivalent or better than the stock filter. The Pipercross filter is also a little stiffer than the stock filter.
I wrote Pipercross to find out if they had any data. They did not, but they said there is a Kawasaki race team that has done the testing and is using them in their race bikes. My thought is; "Why would any Kawasaki race team run an aftermarket filter if it does not help performance?"
For me,the throttle response fells better and the bike pulls smoother, especially the way I ride it most of the time ( between 6.5-8k rpm). It is my understanding that a better flowing airbox can help with performance. Will I spend the time and money to put it on a dyno for minimal performance gains? Probably not unless I do some more carb work.
I'm defiantly interested in mid-range gains, and changing the sound of the engine, at lower RPM. Just not keen on putting up with a glass-pack exhaust (which may just hurt low-end performance, anyway).

I may try shimming my carbs, but it's time to find a dyno-equipped shop, in the area.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm defiantly interested in mid-range gains, and changing the sound of the engine, at lower RPM. Just not keen on putting up with a glass-pack exhaust (which may just hurt low-end performance, anyway).

I may try shimming my carbs, but it's time to find a dyno-equipped shop, in the area.
Shimming should get you some performance gain. I looked at a couple of dyno charts and found that just removing the snorkel or adding a high flow filter before shimming, rejetting and adding an exhaust, produced small gains in HP (.5- 1.5), which seems to be a similar result to adding a slip-on.

SPORTISI MOTORSPORT
RacingOrder.com – Washington Based Motorcycle Racing » TYGA Ninja 250R Race Exhaust System Dyno Results

Most full exhaust w/ rejetting had the max HP occur well outside the mid-range. Most people don't ride constantly in the 11-12k range (maybe except racers) For me the combo of a short snorkel, 1 shim, and a high flow filter has produced a noticeable result in mid range performance while still being modest on mpg. As the weather gets warmer I'll be able to tell just how much better it will get.

The rumor around the 250 community is that the 250 is lean from the factory and larger mains are necessary to compensate for the lean condition and maximize HP. ( that leanness being due to emissions and affecting the low rpm range) However I read that it may be rich. This coming from different racers. A reduction in jet size for one resulted in 30 HP with the stock airbox.
ninjette.org - View Single Post - 08 250R Dyno / after full exhaust + jetting
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 On The Track - Sport Rider Magazine

I also read a very interesting article about carbs, exhaust, and jetting that made pretty good sense. Pipe Jetting

So I guess, depending on what a person's performance goal is, the condition and style in which they ride, and the individual tuning of their bike will determine what adjustments they make to obtain that goal.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've seen the TYGA charts before... would love to see dyno results for propper tuning with just a filter change, and maybe removing the snorkle.

So you shimmed your carbs with one washer, after changing the air filter... What elevation are you at?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm at 134 ft. ASL. At first I did one washer and full snorkel removal with the stock filter. Then I cut 1 inch off the snorkel and put it back in. Added the Pipercross filter and cut off another inch and the resonator inside.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, yesterday was the kind of day I've been waiting for. (Well sort of. Could have done without the wind.) The temp got up to 80 degrees. I did a nice long run with both the stock filter and the Pipercross on the same road, same direction. Without a doubt the Pipercross make the bike's throttle response a snappier and smoother. With the stock filter the revs took a little longer to progress. The bike seemed to like the extra air. The stock air filter was cleaned and oiled and has been kept in a zip lock bag since installing the Pipercross. After about 20 minutes of being in back in the bike the stock filter was showing signs of compression, the Pipercross only had compression on the end near the cover after being in the bike 4 months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts