Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across these air filters the other day. They have been in business over 25 years across the pond. They are the OEM filter on Triumph Motorcycles, so that should give them a little credibility. They also claim that their air filters "consistently outperform paper and cotton-gauze rivals to supply air to the engine - even when dirty! This is thanks to the multilaminate construction used in every Pipercross performance air filter. Layers of varying porosity foam all work together to trap different sized particles."
With that being said, I'm curious to find out and at the price of $31.00, it might be worth a try. Also any increase in HP is welcome.

[url]http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9426[/URL]

[url]http://www.pipercross.net/motorcycle/products.asp[/URL]

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Do it! And post a dyno-run, eh? I'm not usually one to get excited about these types of things... The foam filter in the ninjette is pretty damn good! And this is just another foam filter....

The other thing I've also heard about filters who "breath" better, is that they let more particulates in, although very small and won't cause any scoring, it could still cause things to gum up...

And for race applications, why not just run open intakes like X does....

I don't mean to dog on the find, I guess I'm just wanting to provide the other side of the argument for those who might not know.

A good post non-the-less Ghost!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oooh Spooph!
You know this could start a big debate. I agree, I think the stock foam filter is good, but how good? All I've ever heard was how it did not breathe well.

So where foam filters are concerned, can this technologically advanced Pipercross foam filter be better than stock (offering the same protection) but breathe as well as an K&N or BMC?

Before I throw this on the dyno, I'll see if the manufacturer has any data. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I ran across these air filters the other day. They have been in business over 25 years across the pond. They are the OEM filter on Triumph Motorcycles, so that should give them a little credibility. ]
I already have one then!

BMC and K&N both make air filters for my bike which are supposed to be better than the OEM item, but OEM stuff is usually made to a price and not to a specification so that doesn't surprise me. If I bought another Pipercross filter it would probably be better than the one already in my bike.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So Aysee, does your filter work as advertised.

Also I looked at some more info on Pipercross. They have a long history in England and they provide air filters for the British military mechanized division, Bombardier, Lotus, Aston Martin, Mercedes Ilmor, Cosworth engines, Ford's M-Sport team World Rally Car, Factory Ducati and Rizla Suzuki and Pegram Leo Vince Racing, just to name a few. Oh, and the picture on their box is none other than a KAWASAKI.

Hopefully mine will be here in a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
I just bought a K&N filter for my bike. The stock filters do stop the most particles, but there is a sliding scale of flow to particle damage. The high performance style filter will let in as much air as possible but not to the point of damage...

I think the major thing to remember about OEM parts and factory instructions (break in period etc) is that they aren't interested in getting the maximum performance out of each part but longevity and stability. The stock filter for example, they want to keep it as SAFE as possible, so that means let enough air through to achieve advertised power and thats all.

We all know vehicles are tuned for safety, my ute was tuned sooooooo rich my fuel economy got BETTER with an extra 100kw!!!

Thats just my opinion of course :D I'd say give it a crack!

Felix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.