Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Just last week I completed an MSF course and got my endorsement. Also I bought a red 2010 Ninja 250. It was delivered yesterday and my brother is going to ride with with me this weekend. I've been wanting to do this for years and it was finally the right timing. I'm really happy I went with the 250, it's light and my feet touch the ground and my insurance is really cheap with full coverage.

Now if it can keep from raining this weekend I will be even happier.

I was told by so many people to go with at least a 500cc bike but I really didn't find that to be necessary for my first bike. If I grow out of it, I grow out of it.. it seems like these bikes sell like hot cakes so I'm not too worried about it. Anyone else get this pressure to go with something faster even if you're a new rider?

If there's anyone in the Metro Detroit area who's looking for a riding partner let me know!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

I think you were wise not to listen to the people telling you to go to at least 500cc for your first bike.

You will learn quicker, and end-up as a better rider IMO, if you spend some time on a smaller cycle before moving up. Some people never feel the need to "upgrade".

Jay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bought the same exact bike as you. One month later I was buying a 6R and I'm now trying to sell the 250.

Don't let that discourage you though! Like Jay said some people never feel the need to upgrade. I ride 90% highway in farm country so I felt the need to upgrade right away, maybe if I put different sprockets in I could have lived with it..idk... Also, I feel that I progressed as a rider much more quickly than others might. but.. I am still really glad that I got my 250 for learning, even though I moved on right away.

If you ride a lot of busy city streets where you are in Detroit I would say the 250 is not a bad choice, especially for beginner. It's small and nimble and good on gas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had people telling me to go with 600. I said noooo way 300 is all ill need.
Just passed my msf on Wednesday now I just need to get out and start riding once rain clears out. Welcome to Michigan lol

·
1,465 Posts
I tell ppl looking for the speed to go with a 600 so they arent disappointed and want to upgrade within the 1st two weeks. Ppl just wanting to ride i say go 500. Total different feel but for a small person a 250 is a fair choice but dont have un real expectations and you will do just fine.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
June has been a rainy month here too....
First 2 weeks rain....
Then a good week of sun, but 90's....That's ok...
Now rain everyday....
Garden likes the rain 4 sure......
Need to mow grass, but got to wait.....
Bikeride.....Raingear even tho it sucks....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I tell ppl looking for the speed to go with a 600 so they arent disappointed and want to upgrade within the 1st two weeks. Ppl just wanting to ride i say go 500. Total different feel but for a small person a 250 is a fair choice but dont have un real expectations and you will do just fine.
I tell anyone looking to survive their 1st two weeks NOT go with a 600...

Jay

·
1,465 Posts
. I started on a 1000 cc bike and know ppl who startout on a 1300 and 1400. You get someone who wants speed and give em a 250 they will be pissed. I sold bikes at one time and everyone is different but 83% maybe more now who walk through the door looking for a sportbike upgrade their bike. Sorry to sound so blunt but ppl that make comments like that need to check that crap. Its not the bike that hurts ppl its the ppl that override their limits. Newbs should start on the bike that suits their mindset and needs.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
. I started on a 1000 cc bike and know ppl who startout on a 1300 and 1400. You get someone who wants speed and give em a 250 they will be pissed. I sold bikes at one time and everyone is different but 83% maybe more now who walk through the door looking for a sportbike upgrade their bike. Sorry to sound so blunt but ppl that make comments like that need to check that crap. Its not the bike that hurts ppl its the ppl that override their limits. Newbs should start on the bike that suits their mindset and needs.
:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had people telling me to go with 600. I said noooo way 300 is all ill need.
Just passed my msf on Wednesday now I just need to get out and start riding once rain clears out. Welcome to Michigan lol
Yeah, got my bike Thursday and it drove me crazy that it rained that evening and then again on Friday. I got it out Saturday and today, just sticking to my neighborhood for now as I practice what I learned at the MSF course.

Good choice with the 300... I recommend putting frame sliders on it. I had that done on my 250. Congrats on your new bike!

EDIT: My brother came to visit this weekend w/ his GXSR 600 and took my 250 for a spin and said he loved how it handled. I'm very happy I went with the 250. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have it for a while. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, got my bike Thursday and it drove me crazy that it rained that evening and then again on Friday. I got it out Saturday and today, just sticking to my neighborhood for now as I practice what I learned at the MSF course.

Good choice with the 300... I recommend putting frame sliders on it. I had that done on my 250. Congrats on your new bike!

EDIT: My brother came to visit this weekend w/ his GXSR 600 and took my 250 for a spin and said he loved how it handled. I'm very happy I went with the 250. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have it for a while. :)
Ya I definitely made the right choice with the 300.
My first ride was about a two mile trek down the road also practicing msf skills.
I do want to put sliders on as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry, but I don't buy that.

When you are learning you don't need 100+ HP or 500+ pounds - it doesn't make you a better rider.

Most new riders have no idea what level of performance a 600, 1000, 1300 has - it's way past what a new rider can handle. Even if they never "open er up" they still have to deal with the size and weight of a large bike. Most new riders will "override their limit" at some point.

Learning to ride on a dirt bike is the best way to learn IMO - the complete opposite of what you are recommending.

Upgrading when you are ready isn't a big deal. They are buying their first bike, hopefully not their last.

Check that crap...

Jay

·
Registered
245 Posts
jkv45 said:
Sorry, but I don't buy that.

When you are learning you don't need 100+ HP or 500+ pounds - it doesn't make you a better rider.

Most new riders have no idea what level of performance a 600, 1000, 1300 has - it's way past what a new rider can handle. Even if they never "open er up" they still have to deal with the size and weight of a large bike. Most new riders will "override their limit" at some point.

Learning to ride on a dirt bike is the best way to learn IMO - the complete opposite of what you are recommending.

Upgrading when you are ready isn't a big deal. They are buying their first bike, hopefully not their last.

Check that crap...

Jay
I couldn't agree more. Which is a little hypocritical of me because I started on a 650r a year and a half ago and still ride it to this day. But looking back, it was a dumb decision. I wasn't very educated about how much power a 650 class bike had. Yes, I did wreck it in the first month and that could have been avoided by having a lighter and better handling bike. Even though I was not at fault in the accident, it still could have been avoided with more seasoned riding skills on my part. I'm lucky I didn't get hurt on that thing. Just an accidental unexpected jerk of the throttle can get you in trouble in a hurry. I may have survived starting on a 650 but there have been many people out there who haven't. Today, I am completely comfortable with the bike. But, no matter what some may believe, most people are tempted to push their "limits" when they first begin to ride because its a new life experience and the thrill of riding fast can be tempting to anyone who loves riding motorcycles whether they are a noob or a veteran.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.