Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Boston!

I don't have it yet, but I'm scheduled to pick up a brand new 2012 Red 250R on Friday afternoon... and I am PSYCHED.

For the past month I've been reading posts here and consuming all the YouTube videos I can. So thank you for all the great info you have shared.

This will be my first real bike, having started off with 10 years ago with a Honda Metropolitan (50cc) and then moving to the Yamaha Zuma 125... here's hoping I remember the whole how-to-shift part from the MSF class I took a few years ago ;-)

I took care of the paperwork at the dealership yesterday - they gave me a very generous trade-in on the Zuma (considering relatively high miles and several mods), and so they are prepping the bike and handling the registration transfer etc. Did I mention I'm really psyched?

For now, the only modification I'm thinking of is a set of frame sliders (Shoguns - thanks for the recommendation!) and rear spools. I will likely end up doing the pipe as well. I have a 2bros on the Zuma - it has a great sound (although earplugs are a must - even with the insert) but the quality of the manufacture is pretty weak considering the price. So I'm weighing the options.

I will post photos, I promise.

-andrew

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to the site Andrew, great to have you on board!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

So, I picked up my bike on Friday - planning to get it before the rush hour madness began. Of course the dealership was a mob scene, and I finally got on the road at 5pm... On the Friday before a long weekend. The dealership is in a busy part of town, and so the traffic was insane. Oh well, trial by fire..I only stalled 3 times getting home ;-)

On Saturday I took the bike camping with a friend (he rides a TW200), and put about 70 miles on it... And the same on the return trip on Sunday... And this morning I went off for a few hours - finding some of my favorite twisties. 229 miles so far.

Some initial thoughts, in no particular order:
I think I love this bike. A lot.
I seem to have the perfect proportions for it... It fits me like a glove (or vice versa).
I must get rid of that dumbass rear fender.
I think I want a louder pipe... Yoshimura slip on?
A tank bag seems to be a necessity... At least a small one for now.
Finding first gear can be a bit tricky... Right now.

I'm attaching a few photos from the camp site (please excuse my topless friend) - you can see my bike loaded up with my minimal gear (a hammock, clothes and a sleeping bag)... And a shot from this morning where I pulled off the road for an impromptu photo shoot with a truck for background.

-andrew

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Nice bike Andrew! The first thing I did when I got mine was to chop off that ugly tail. Wow you put some miles! Did you keep your speed low or are you not too worried about the break in period? Oh by the way, is your hammock enclosed? And where did you get it?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks Altec!
I think there is an infinite number of opinions on breaking in motors. I went with the one that was unanimous at my dealership - ride it. Don't baby it. Don't abuse it. Work your way up, and vary the ride as often as possible. So I've been generally keeping it below 6k for now - with some spirited 9k sprints (short). I don't need to ride on the interstates to get where I'm going... Otherwise 6k would be unsafe.

The hammock has a zippered mesh top, so it is enclosed... It's amazing to sleep in, packs down tiny, sets up in 5 minutes (literally), and has a rain fly if needed. http://hennessyhammock.com

-andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.