Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I am new on here. I was just looking to get some opinions. I got my permit and I am already signed up for the safety course which I will be taking in the upcoming weeks. I was just curious what peoples opinions are about starting out on a zx-6r. I have ridden dirt bikes and stuff in the past without a problem. I am a 20 year old, but I am not stupid and understand how to drive safely. Any opinions, tips, or advice is greatly appreciated.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Witch said:
Hey everybody, I am new on here. I was just looking to get some opinions. I got my permit and I am already signed up for the safety course which I will be taking in the upcoming weeks. I was just curious what peoples opinions are about starting out on a zx-6r. I have ridden dirt bikes and stuff in the past without a problem. I am a 20 year old, but I am not stupid and understand how to drive safely. Any opinions, tips, or advice is greatly appreciated.
I started out on a zx6r so don't see it being a problem ,some people will say start on a 250 but if you're confident enough in yourself and your riding ability I'd say start on the 6 that way in a year or so time you won't have to get another bike !
 

· Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
czsummy said:
You are 20, I assume in college. So first off does the insurance and maintenance bill fit your budget for a zx6r?
Insurance I haven't checked out yet. I have State Farm and a clean driving record, so hopefully it won't be too high. It will be my first bike so I don't really know how much to figure for maintenance prices.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea how much maintenance might be for a zx6r? Like an average? I'm looking to get one with 5,000 or less miles..Any major services I need to know about before continuing on my search?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Witch said:
Any idea how much maintenance might be for a zx6r? Like an average? I'm looking to get one with 5,000 or less miles..Any major services I need to know about before continuing on my search?
Service every year ,the bikes are generally bullet proof if you look after them !what year zx6r are you looking for ?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
May have wrecked my bike on first day, Please help!!!

I picked mine up new 2012 250R and its my first bike. Dealer mentioned a break in period of 1000km and said just not to red line it or drone it on the hwy. I put 120km in the higher rpm range all the way home. Then I opened my manual to find out the break in period is really 800km under 4000 rpm and then another 800km under 6000 rpm. Im really upset with the dealer on this one because i like to follow instructions on things like this. Is thier any way to tell if ive done damage to the bike? I thought i heard a pop once but i cant be sure it wasnt another sound and i havnt heard anything scince but i also havnt brought it past 4000 rpm scince either (43 kph). Should I be mad at the dealer or am i over reacting? Please, any info you could give would be great cause im green as grass!:9lame:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Ok I'm 28 in NY on my 15th or so street bike spotless driving recorded. Currently my main day to day ride is a 05 636. Insurance is about 70 a month.

Every season minimum stuff you'll need
Chain x1 520 @110 links= $75
Chain lube x2=$30
Cable lube x1 =$15
Rear tire z rated x1 =$170

Every other minimum stuff
Front sprocket 15 tooth 520 x1=30
Rear sprocket 44 tooth 520 x1 = 80
Front tire z rated x1= 120
Front breaks EBC stinted x2 =130
Rear breaks EBC stinted x1 = 50

At random. In other words when it breaks or wears out.
Clutch cable 3-5 years x1=30
Clutch springs and plates 20k miles x1pkg =about 1200 if you get a slipper clutch or not
Injectors x4 at random = no clue how much

Ball park figures. If you want more info I can go through my log book and figure it all out. It's getting late so I have to cut this one short. But to sum it up riding is expensive so make sure you are ready to devote a lot of time, money, effort, busted knuckles and pissed off girlfriends. Take care of the bike and it will take care of you. I just have but 10,000 miles on my bike in the last 13 months. Sport bikes are expensive but can be very fun and reliable. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
adesiso said:
Ok I'm 28 in NY on my 15th or so street bike spotless driving recorded. Currently my main day to day ride is a 05 636. Insurance is about 70 a month.

Every season minimum stuff you'll need
Chain x1 520 @110 links= $75
Chain lube x2=$30
Cable lube x1 =$15
Rear tire z rated x1 =$170

Every other minimum stuff
Front sprocket 15 tooth 520 x1=30
Rear sprocket 44 tooth 520 x1 = 80
Front tire z rated x1= 120
Front breaks EBC stinted x2 =130
Rear breaks EBC stinted x1 = 50

At random. In other words when it breaks or wears out.
Clutch cable 3-5 years x1=30
Clutch springs and plates 20k miles x1pkg =about 1200 if you get a slipper clutch or not
Injectors x4 at random = no clue how much

Ball park figures. If you want more info I can go through my log book and figure it all out. It's getting late so I have to cut this one short. But to sum it up riding is expensive so make sure you are ready to devote a lot of time, money, effort, busted knuckles and pissed off girlfriends. Take care of the bike and it will take care of you. I just have but 10,000 miles on my bike in the last 13 months. Sport bikes are expensive but can be very fun and reliable. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
Wow, thanks a lot. You really helped with all the info. Ill definitely have to check out how much the insurance will be cause that is my main concern. Hopefully mine will be around the same as yours and I'll be able to swing it. I'd hate to have to get a smaller bike that I will grow out of in just a few months and have to turn around and sell just due to insurance costs. Is that for full or just liability for yours?
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top