Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here from Alabama. I'm 47 and have been riding motorcycles ever since my granddad bought me a new red Yamaha DT100 Enduro back when I was 13 years-old. I'm a dirt bike / dual-sport kinda person and this is my first pure street bike.

I've had my Ninja 250R Special Edition for a little over a month now and I have about 450 miles on the odometer as of today. So far, it has been a blast to ride and as I put more miles on it and up the RPMs the enjoyment gets even better.

For the money, I think the Ninja 250R is one of the best deals in motorcycling. Sure, it's no 600 SS in the acceleration or braking department, but for the twisty country roads not far from my house, it's just the ticket for my 5'5" 160 pound ass. Man, is this thing "flickable"!!

Brand new, with 12 miles on the odometer.

With 400 miles on the odometer and the rear seat cowl installed.

I have a Projekt D FE kit on the way and I'm also going to remove the passenger footpegs. That's all I'm going to do to it for the near future. I'll rejet and get an aftermarket exhaust latter on, but for now, I just want to clean up the looks a little.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome to the site Timbo, love that Red and Black Combo!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome Timbo! Me likes the red and black combo as well. I think a red rear tire bugger would look killer on your bike. As far as the Projekt D fender eliminator let me know how that works out for ya. I bought the Jardine one and it be junk. It does fit the bike but it's not exactly exact fitting. Good luck on your mods and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, things have change a little in the last few days. I bought the Ninja 250R more as a weekday/weekend toy than an everyday bike. My wife was in an accident a few weeks ago and the insurance company totaled out her car. We just bought a new 2012 Ford Fusion and I do not want to have another new car payment at this time. Long story short, I traded in the Ninja on a new Yamaha V-Star Custom 650.

I'm not really a "cruiser guy", but the V-Star fits me really great, just like the Ninja did. With the bigger engine, shaft drive and a small windshield, the V-Star will be a little more comfortable ( thanks to my 47 year-old back ) to ride on the highway at 75 MPH than the Ninja. Hopefully, I can buy a used Ninja 250R in a couple of years because they are just so damn fun to ride, but as of now, I need a motorcycle that can be more of an every day car replacement than something to tear up the curves on.

The only bad thing about the V-Star is the clutch. It flat-out sucks! The friction zone is very small and the clutch is kinda like an on-off switch. Google "V-Star Friction Zone" and you will see what I'm talking about. I've put 50 miles on the V Star so far and I've been "retraining" myself to its shitty clutch action by doing a lot of parking lot slow speed stuff in the Target parking lot. I don't want to drop this SOB because I've stalled it in the turn lane!

As far as the Projekt D FE kit. It looks to be very good quality, but the fit was not all that great as others have said. I put it on the Ninja and the fit was not very good around the two rear plastic panels that are under the rear seat. The rear taillight did fit very good, however. Actually, it looked perfect and I was VERY pleased at how cool it looked until I put the plastic panels back on. Some people might have lived with it, but I knew I could do better if I took some time to bend it a little for a better fit. I took it off and replaced the stock rear fender and I was going to bend the FE a little and then re-install it, but as I said, I ended up trading it on the V Star so its still in the box.

I'm still going to hang out here because I'll be back in the Ninja 250R family sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry you have to part ways with your ride of choice, but sure sounds like you've got things in order.
Glad you have decided to stick around.
I can relate on the Yamaha clutch action. My first bike ever (moons ago) was a FZ750R and it had clutch that was about as smooth as a brick through a plate glass window. It was good for blast-offs from a red light (with a nod to my law enforcement friends out there)...but gearing down she bucked like a mule.

I digress. Glad you are staying. Ride safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.