Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Lots of buzz about this bike, especially on my other (Versys) forum due to the direct similarities to that upright semi naked 650.

I'm a Honda fan and would love to own one. Compared to the Versys, this Honda has a smaller fuel tank - but simlar range - thanks to great fuel economy. Not sure if that comes at the cost of fun. It revs very low, redlines around 6.5 or 7 grand. Also has less front brakes with only a single disk, skinny non-inverted fork, and the fuel filler is under the passenger seat which would make fuelling a pain on a tour with luggage on the pillion.

The storage area is a great trick and I like the look of the bike. It will be as smooth as Honda can make a parallel twin (which I expect will be less buzzy than my Versys) Prices are still not out in Canada and that will be interesting as these 2 new NC700s will be in the showroom beside the CBF600 selling for $9,999.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is chat about this thing everywhere, so I'll toss out my opinion -

It's a Honda - and that's no longer a compliment.

It has low tech/low cost features that make it easy to design and produce. The engine is based on an auto engine (Japanese Fit, I believe) and revs to something like 7000. Power is low. The frame is basic steel tube. It's heavy for its size and has only 1 front disc.

It's styled like an adventure bike, but even Honda will admit it's just a poseur.

Carry on...

Jay

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It has low tech/low cost features that make it easy to design and produce. The engine is based on an auto engine (Japanese Fit, I believe) and revs to something like 7000. Power is low. The frame is basic steel tube. It's heavy for its size and has only 1 front disc.

It's styled like an adventure bike, but even Honda will admit it's just a poseur.

Carry on...

Jay
Oooo... clearly, not a fan.

I wouldn't expect exotica from Honda, at this price, just solid reliability.

It's part of a trio of all-new models. And some of the write-ups and test rides are pretty favorable. We'll just have to see.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Carry on...

Jay
jkv has a point here. Honda has surprisingly go down hill in quality (from my personal experience). Some of their recalls I've seen are very "American-car-maker-esc" types of mistakes. Fogotten welds, improper baring seals and hose clamps, poor wire connections, forgotten bolts, etc. In fact my Civic has had 33 recalls, I think 4 of them mandatory. LadyJ's Kia has had 3 recalls, non mandatory.

Anywho, the motorcycle is cool looking w/ some great ideas for a commuter, but why a 600cc? Wouldn't a 400 be better suited for a commuter? I'm basing that off of the idea of a commuter being something to get you from here, to there and back at minimal cost. When I first saw this bike (here on NN of course :D) I was expecting a price around $3000; at it's current price why not just get a 250/400 and add the Givi case? At least then you can enjoy the bike when not commuting.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oooo... clearly, not a fan.

I wouldn't expect exotica from Honda, at this price, just solid reliability.

It's part of a trio of all-new models. And some of the write-ups and test rides are pretty favorable. We'll just have to see.
Actually, I own quite a few Hondas - '66 Dream 305, '69 CB450 Scrambler, '74 CB100, '75 CB400 Four, '82 Z50R, '01 XR70, '03 XR 80, '03 XR100.

It is relatively cheap, but it's also down on power and overweight. It's also too big of a cycle for a single disc IMO.

They have the means to do so much better, but choose not to.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.