·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Ron, Plenty of info here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike is black, its been in the 30s and 40s this week, she bought the bike new last fall but it hasnt run good, same issues i have been reading about so I am gonna make it fun for her. The list so far is the 36 muffler, brake light modulator, [email protected] filter, jet kit, 15 tooth, oil change.

·
Registered
656 Posts
^ Oh and I have a 27$ muffler mod ;) haha..... I 1uped Red.

If it hasn't been running good start it cold with a long screw driver on the head. Put your hand on the end of the screw driver then place your ear against your hand. If you hear ticking its possible the timing is out OR more likely the valves need adjusted. I would tackle the bad running first before adding power output IMO.

Images don't work anymore :(??
http://www.newninja.com/forums/f114/25-muffler-tutorial-now-here-5251.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thought of that, it only has about 300 miles on it, been to the dealer twice where they checked the jetting and made sure it was factory stock, hopefully the timing or valves dont need any work yet.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i thought of that, it only has about 300 miles on it, been to the dealer twice where they checked the jetting and made sure it was factory stock, hopefully the timing or valves dont need any work yet.
Running like crap with only 300miles?

First things first, pull that muffler off and check for obstructions!
Next, pull the air filter and reach in there or shine a flash light in to the air box, check for obstructions! It may just be that the engine isn't broken in yet. Wait until at least 500miles to do mods, I waited until almost 3k before I did any engine modifications. Once the motor frees up a bit you'll be surprised how much power it has and how quickly it revs!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Ron, you are correct. Timing and/or valves should still be fine, unless previous owner did something SERIOUSLY wrong... Is there a possibility to get a video up of you or her taking off on the bike, from a stop. With sound? How long are you letting the bike warm up? What kind of gas are you putting in it? How old is the gas that's been in gas tank up until now? How long did it sit before you purchased it? What did the shop do to it the 2 times you took it in? Pardon all the questions, just trying to help and need info....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no previous owner, she purchased the bike brand new, no video, 91 octane, the bike is allowed to warm up much more than should be needed, gas was always new, the shopped checked everything and said it was just like the factory put it. Should have the bike tomorrow, will get it running for the first time this year and see what i am starting with first hand.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
excellent! Can't wait for more info. Next barrage of questions: Where are you located? More specifically, at what elevation, and has the bike been jetted for that elevation?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
she delivered the bike today, still got the pricklies on the tires. we are
located in MN, just above lake level, bike is still as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got the bike started today, took like 20 minutes before it would run without the choke, even then it took about another 10 minutes before it would take any throttle, reving from idle was a dog till about 7-8000 then it would rev like it should. Went for a ride, definiately a big wide dead spot off the bottom, taking off from a stop took some revs and a easy clutch or it would die, once moving it came alive about 7000 and then would zip through the gears providing i kept the revs up there. Pretty fun bike to ride, first time on a ricer, handled great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.