Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a 2010 Ninja 250R, and am here to meet new people and learn about the bike. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over 5 years and will be a complete amateur. I am 27 years old and am 5'8 at 270lbs..Am I too big for this bike?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your height of course, is ideal. And at 270 lbs, you're nowhere near the max weight limit. In fact, this bike may be a better choice than most, because the seat height (and center of gravity) are so low. I wouldn't give it another thought...

On the other hand, if riding a motorcycle is a step to a more active lifestyle, then rock on!

And welcome to the forum. ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good to hear! I thought for sure I would be too heavy for it or something. I am going to price some at local stores tomorrow and we will see what I can get my hands on.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Syn, good to have some new faces popping up!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the site! I think you r ok with the weight, Syn. I was 260 lbs when I first got my bike, and it was fine. 230 now and still has enough power. Only thing that kinda sux is being 6'2". Can't quite tuck my legs under the tank. Great besides that. I've got about 12,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D you will find lots of very useful information here :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
Welcome my man,

Both your height (ideal) and weight (well in limits for the bikes capacity) are absolutely fine. Do not let anyone try and tell you that a 'wee' 249CC inline twin can't do the job for you, whether it is city cruising or highway rush, your weight will have minimal effect on the fun and special connection you gain by being part of the community of quarter liter riders.

Let us know how your shopping went!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the VERY late response..Didn't end up getting bike. I went in to finance bike, had $1k to put down and because I had my totaled 2010 Civic (that was only 3 months old mind you) still on my credit they wouldn't go for it. I don't have bad credit either..

A lady backed out onto a main road and I couldn't avoid her and her suburban won the fight, so I was going to pick up the bike and save some money on payments and such..I ended up getting into a pickle and needed transportation so I went right back to honda and financed a 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5-speed (30-40mpg woohoo!) and am now back into buying mode for the 250. Should I wait til the 2011's come out or pick up used? I really like the 2008+ body style..

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Haven't heard anything new about the 2011 250's, so if you're in a buying mood, keep an eye on CL.... Tis a buying season!

·
Registered
347 Posts
spooph said:
Haven't heard anything new about the 2011 250's, so if you're in a buying mood, keep an eye on CL.... Tis a buying season!
spooph is right.. this is the absolute best time to look for a nice '08 ninja 250r on clist. people need cash for travel, christmas, bills, etc.. you can find a 250r right now for 2300 I bet with under 5k.

I bought my '08 in near perfect condition (couple scuffs on left fairing) for 2500 with 952 miles on it basically three weeks from today (last year).

GOGOGO! get that ninja!

**more over, if you can grab one up within the next month before the snow starts to fall bad and temeperatures drop dramatically/people shove their bikes inside without proper mait. you should be able to buy one that still isnt stored away and properly clean and store it for next season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just looking through cycletrader and craigslist I have already found a few 08+ for great prices..My only real riding experience is about 5 years ago I raced a Kawasaki KX250 dirt bike for 2 race seasons, how do these things compare power wise?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
About half the perceived power, considering gearing, torque, surface and all that, and the extra 80-100lbs....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts