Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday I am getting my new tire and I'm not sure how slick it will be on my ride home. It may also rain that day (Non-stop rain for weeks now.) can someone give me advice and or tips how to get home in one piece? Should I hit the interstate or just use the highway still?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Roman Legion said:
On Wednesday I am getting my new tire and I'm not sure how slick it will be on my ride home. It may also rain that day (Non-stop rain for weeks now.) can someone give me advice and or tips how to get home in one piece? Should I hit the interstate or just use the highway still?
After I got my new tires (I got both front and rear at same time) I just took it easy for my first tank of gas (around 100 miles or so). Take turns easy, don't go crazy and try knee dragging, if it's raining straightaways will be much better than the twists and turns. After around 100+ miles it has enough wear and tear on it to whip around.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I got my new tires (I got both front and rear at same time) I just took it easy for my first tank of gas (around 100 miles or so). Take turns easy, don't go crazy and try knee dragging, if it's raining straightaways will be much better than the twists and turns. After around 100+ miles it has enough wear and tear on it to whip around.
I never knee drag, but I do lean the bike, think normal leaning will be hazardous? The interstate is generally straighter than the highway, but faster and I have never been on the interstate yet due to my tire. Just driving to school and back would be almost enough to break in the tire (I have about 80 mile round trip per day for school and I have not made the trip on my bike yet, always in the car.. :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
Roman Legion said:
I never knee drag, but I do lean the bike, think normal leaning will be hazardous? The interstate is generally straighter than the highway, but faster and I have never been on the interstate yet due to my tire. Just driving to school and back would be almost enough to break in the tire (I have about 80 mile round trip per day for school and I have not made the trip on my bike yet, always in the car.. :(
Nah, as long as you aren't overly aggressive with your lean angle, you will be fine. Normal leaning will be alright, Just take your time is all.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, as long as you aren't overly aggressive with your lean angle, you will be fine. Normal leaning will be alright, Just take your time is all.
Would basic weaving be bad or would it help break the tire in?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Roman Legion said:
Would basic weaving be bad or would it help break the tire in?
I'm not sure if it is necessarily a bad thing to do, but you have to be careful if you decide to do so. You are only getting a new front tho so it shouldn't be bad at all. When I was on my way home after getting the new tires, I weaved almost the entire time I was on straightaways. By the time I was home the whole tire was pretty well roughed up.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Normal weaving won't be a problem...
I do this all day driving to try keeping the flat spot a bit less on my tires.
Left to right in my lane as i drive....
Make people think i'm drunk....LOL
Just use some sense for a hundred miles.....
I don't knee drag......but i have had my footpeg touch the assssfault...
My luck a crack in the road or something would catch my knee tearing my dam leg half off......
Think knee dragging would be a track thing where u know the assssfault is in good shape.....
Road here suck.....ain't gunna try that......
Just don't drive like the morons u see on TubeU, and u'll be A-Ok.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
if it's raining i wouldn't try and break in the tire or anything... wait for a dry day to do that. Just stay reasonably upright on turns. New tires are slick, but not slick enough to affect normal commuter riding (non aggressive). a slick tire on slicker pavement though... i would definitely ride cautiously and upright

be sure and adhere to the 2 second rule while on the highway on your way home (stay 2 seconds behind the person in front of u)... if you have to do some hard braking on that slick tire.. your ass is grass

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it's raining i wouldn't try and break in the tire or anything... wait for a dry day to do that. Just stay reasonably upright on turns. New tires are slick, but not slick enough to affect normal commuter riding (non aggressive). a slick tire on slicker pavement though... i would definitely ride cautiously and upright

be sure and adhere to the 2 second rule while on the highway on your way home (stay 2 seconds behind the person in front of u)... if you have to do some hard braking on that slick tire.. your ass is grass
Weather.com shows it is supposed to rain Wednesday (The day I have scheduled for my new tire) lets hope the weather is better or at least not so bad.

·
Registered
674 Posts
A tire is going to be slick until it's scuffed-in. Some will be slicker than others.

I would hesitate to ride a new tire in the rain until it was scuffed-in on dry pavement.

My recommendation would be to pick it up another day if it's raining.

Jay

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
A tire is going to be slick until it's scuffed-in. Some will be slicker than others.

I would hesitate to ride a new tire in the rain until it was scuffed-in on dry pavement.

Jay
Just drive it like u stole it n u'll be fine.....
Really tho......
Just drive normal...n....give urself a bit of distance...
U should be doing that anyway....
Common sence.....
Hope u have a bit.....
Now lets get back to the Strapon.....LOL

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Jay
Lets hope it does not rain Wednesay, If so, I could call up and ask to just come in the next day (According to weather.com is supposed to be nice.).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waiting for the day to get my new tire sucks, I feel like I'm wasting a weekend to ride. I'm going to be rather irritated if it does rain Wednesday as it will mean another day I can't ride.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Waiting for the day to get my new tire sucks, I feel like I'm wasting a weekend to ride. I'm going to be rather irritated if it does rain Wednesday as it will mean another day I can't ride.
If i was u....n......I had tred on the tire with no actual bald spots....
I'd take some short hour rides n keep it under 50-55....
I have actual bald spots in my bad cupping places n i still drive over 100...
Hell i have cracks between every tred too.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If i was u....n......I had tred on the tire with no actual bald spots....
I'd take some short hour rides n keep it under 50-55....
I have actual bald spots in my bad cupping places n i still drive over 100...
Hell i have cracks between every tred too.....
It's raining right now, so even if I did trust a bad tire, it wouldn't be a sound idea to do so due to the higher probability of hydroplaning. It sucks because I really want to get out and ride, but I can wait if it means being safe. But I do so badly want to ride. :(

<EDIT> Now weather.com shows Thursday as another rain day. It looks like I'm going to have to chance it. There is a 30% chance of rain on ednesday and Thursday.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Just take ur time.......
Stay at speed limits or below.....
NNNnnnn......
If u wheelie all the way there u won't havfta worry bout ur front tire....
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.