Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am needing some help with my bike. It's grinding when I try to start it. I've read it could be the starter solenoid needs replacing. I've also read that a low battery charge could cause the noise. Any info would be appreciated. She's been sitting all winter so I'd like to start by charging up the battery, is it safe to try and charge it with my car battery??
Rachel

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hi Rachael
Welcome to the site, great to have you here!
Can you please tell us what your bike is? Looking at your profile picture, it looks to be a Ninja 250R, but if you can confirm this for us, it would be appreciated.
You describe it as a grinding noise, so I wouldn't be thinking the battery, as when that gets low, it normally sounds like a ticking sound, not grinding.
Hopefully with some added information, we can help you out.

·
1,458 Posts
Rachael, so the noise you are describing as a grinding may be a low battery but let me ask you a few questions to better understand the grinding noise. 1 when you first turn the key on. Do all the lights come on as normal 2 when you push the start button what happens? 3 do you have a charger? 4 how long has it been sitting? this i believe will help narrow it down but I believe from what i read before that you have a low battery Charging it with a car battery. Ummmm no. That will not charge the battery just equalize the two batteries. If you leave the battery in the vehicle and start it you will be charging the bike battery. Also known as jump starting it. But only if the vehicle is running. i recommend people buy a battery tender Its not necessarily a charger but a maintainer to keep your bike charged. But if your battery is this low you will need to charge it first. You can remove the battery and take to any autozone and they will Charge it for you just tell them you need to have it tested and see if it will take a charge. Let them charge it and put It back into the bike and you should be good to Go

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes my bike is a Ninja 250r and its a grinding noise for sure. She's been sitting in the garage all winter, approx 9 months. Crap that's a long time! I talked with my Kawi dealership and he said it's not the battery that's causing the grinding., that it could have something to do with the oil level. I keep getting different answers on what I could be ...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Well the oil level is easy to check. Get the bike upright off the stand, and either have someone else check the level, or have a block under the stand to keep the bike upright without tipping over.
The site glass is on the right hand side of the bike down low, and should be easily visible. Let the oil settle for a moment, then check to see if half of the glass is covered in oil. If it is lower than that, or not even visible, then you are low on oil.
Apart from that, I'm not sure what else the issue may be. Possibly the starter motor.
If you are not mechanically minded, or don't have someone who can look at it for you, I would suggest having the dealership have a look at it.
If you have no issues with playing with tools, and want to have a go at it yourself, go to this link and download the workshop service manual for the Ninja 250R....
http://service.tanga-moteurs.ro/data/KAWASAKI%20NINJA%20250%2008%20EX250J8F%20(99924-1391-01)%20SM.pdf
Let us know what you come up with!

·
1,458 Posts
Okay. So what we need to help you is more details about the noise And where you here it. I tell people alot of times on here be as detailed as possible.

So the grinding noise that I described earlier and stated it could be a low battery comes from the starter solenoid being stuck. However, i need a few things answered from you that you didnt answer. Are the lights on when you turn on the key to the bike. When you push the start button what happens? Do the lights dim and the bike nearly shut off? The grinding noise occurs but from what area of the bike? Also did you drain the gas out of the tank yet and put In new gas? If the bike has been sitting that long you definitely
Dont want that gas in your bike to cause more
Problems with fuel system once you do get it running. Have you tried putting the bike in gear 6th and making sure to hold the clutch in Push the bike as hard and fast as you can then release the clutch and make sure the motor turns over. Or if you have a rear stand put the bike on the stand put it in 6th and go turn the rear tire that will let you know if your locked up at all as well as moving the flywheel in the event that it is grinding due to a broken tooth.

Again please be specific answer the questions asked and we will get you running again.
Help Us to help You

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.