Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
674 Posts
Engines need load to "break-in". Mostly, the rings need to seat against the cylinder walls, and load (cylinder pressure) does that. Don't let it sit and idle to warm-up, just ride moderately until the gauge reads operating temp. After a few minutes at temp, do a bunch of pulls from say 2000 to 5000 or whatever limit they recommend. Open the throttle hard but shut-off before the revs get too high - no need for high RPMs. Do that regularly for the first couple hundred miles. If it's not done soon enough, the rings won't seat and you will get blow-by that can't be corrected.

Vary the RPMs and load for the first 500 mi, and change the oil and filter at 600 or before. Run conventional oil for the first couple of changes, then go to synthetic.

That's the way I do it, but there are plenty of opinions...

Jay

· Registered
674 Posts
Why not? What's wrong with letting it idle to warm up?
Idling to warm up is always a bad idea. It extends the warm up time and increases the amount of contaminants being added to the oil.

Start it up, let it idle for the time it takes to get your helmet and gloves on (you should have your riding pants, boots, and jacket already on), and ride. Shift low with moderate load, and never hit it hard until it's fully warm - not just barely warm.

Use good oil (synthetic) and change it often.

Jay

· Registered
61 Posts
jkv45 said:
Idling to warm up is always a bad idea. It extends the warm up time and increases the amount of contaminants being added to the oil.

Start it up, let it idle for the time it takes to get your helmet and gloves on (you should have your riding pants, boots, and jacket already on), and ride. Shift low with moderate load, and never hit it hard until it's fully warm - not just barely warm.

Use good oil (synthetic) and change it often.

Jay
Would you have the same recommendations for an older bike? I have a 2008 250R with 6800 miles that runs like crap untill it's warm. I usually give it 5 min + to warm up. (The exhaust has been replaced and it needs rejetted)

· Registered
674 Posts
Would you have the same recommendations for an older bike? I have a 2008 250R with 6800 miles that runs like crap untill it's warm. I usually give it 5 min + to warm up. (The exhaust has been replaced and it needs rejetted)
I would say idle only long enough to be able to ride away - safely. If it won't take any amount of throttle without bogging or stalling, it's not safe to ride.

5 min of idling seems like a long time, but you have to be safe.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.