Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! My names Amanda! I am in the market for my first motorcycle! Ill probably end up with something small to start, like a 250. I'm so short I have a hard time reaching the ground on those!! It will be easier for me to grow out of a bike opposed to growing into one I think.

A friend of mine is selling her blue 2010 ninja 250r, and I think it'll be a nice starter bike. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and hopefully gaining some great riding tips!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hey! Welcome, your gonna love it, you can get links to lower your bike. I met a girl with a 250 ninja,she was about 5ft or shorter and had lowered the bike ,she had no problem reaching the ground. Good luck, drive safe

·
Registered
674 Posts
Don't be too concerned about being able to put both feet flat on the ground.

Work on learning to balance yourself and the cycle at all times. You should be able to come to a stop and only put one foot down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
jkv is right. It can b difficult at first, but ur bike's pretty light. Invest in sum wedge boots, if u jus need a couple inches. I'd stay away from heels; I dunno about breaking and shifting w that... Lowering links seem like they might change the way the bike handles. I got a softer rear spring for my dual-sport 250, it was perfect, but I couldn't get anyone 2help me out w my streetbike. I dumped er a time or two! But no mas. I grew into my 1000, and it's awesome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome! Great bike for start, jkv is absolutely right. My little cousin is 16 4 foot 11 and rides a Harley cruiser just focus on balance and counter weighting properly. Get comfortable with that one foot on the ground you should do fine without all the lowering equipment on a 250 but do what's most comfortable for you that's what matters

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome!! I went from a cruiser to the ninja for ease of simplicity and comfort on my back with my back issues its way more comfortable as far as my back i refuse back surgery at 26 of ill be like my dad who now haw a 2011 1300 cruiser as a driveway decoration down in florida and for trips comfort is key that's the bed decision I've ever made and I have in the past asked a tech question about bags as opposed to lowering for my bitter half and decided the stance is sublime stock I see no need to lower and put my money to chance and not be satisfied with appearance or handling!! Good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
ct726 said:
Hey all! My names Amanda! I am in the market for my first motorcycle! Ill probably end up with something small to start, like a 250. I'm so short I have a hard time reaching the ground on those!! It will be easier for me to grow out of a bike opposed to growing into one I think.

A friend of mine is selling her blue 2010 ninja 250r, and I think it'll be a nice starter bike. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and hopefully gaining some great riding tips!
Welcome aboard I'm new tooo

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
earlthepearl said:
Ya do that after u been on it a week or so....LOL
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I just notice she said short.....that is a problem for sure.
Thick sole riding boots might help u there some.
Saw they had a wheelie trainer while screwing around on you tube one day kinda funny yet saves the fall!! Which deletes the balance training also.. Nice ride ya got there earl

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check out them new 300's, but i think a 650 would be perfect to start on. Just start slow.
I always say this, but...

Never buy a new bike as your first.

Never finance a motorcycle.

Never start on a middleweight unless you are physically too large to comfortably ride a 250.

Never try to teach yourself to ride a street bike.

Always take at least 1 training class if you have 0 experience.

That's my opinion...

Jay

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
jkv45 said:
I always say this, but...

Never buy a new bike as your first.

Never finance a motorcycle.

Never start on a middleweight unless you are physically too large to comfortably ride a 250.

Never try to teach yourself to ride a street bike.

Always take at least 1 training class if you have 0 experience.

That's my opinion...

Jay
+1......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all!! Thanks for all the feedback! Someone asked how much my friend is selling her bike for. It would be $2700. The bike is a 2010 with 69XX miles on it.

I do have a pair of boots that I feel comfortable riding in, I wore them when I took my bike training class for my license and they are very easy for me to move in for shifting, breaking, etc.

I am definitely looking forward to learning to become a better rider, and also slightly nervous at the same time!! But I'm sure it will be an awesome experience!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have already taken a safety course :) and a friend of mine and I plan to take an "advanced safety course" where they help you feel more comfortable on your own bike opposed to the crappy ones in the original training course lol. I think it'll be a good way to get going.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.