Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys(& gals). My chain seems to be binding due to immproper lube intervals. It's making noise In intervals as It goes around. I've got 11k+ mi. & want to replace it. Any suggestions on replacement chains with a master link? Or should I go with a "solid" OEM? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
a few things here....

1.) Welcome
2.) Make an intro thread if you haven't already with some pics of you and your bike
3.) Have you inspected the chain, and found 1 or 2 bad links?
4.) Have you properly adjusted it?

Sometimes you can "resurrect" a chain by cleaning it thoroughly with WD40 or simple green, adjusting it properly, riding it till it's hot and then shooting some new chain lube. If you have a bum link though, you will have to replace it....

so...

5.) when replacing a chain you SHOULD also replace the sprockets. They wear together and replacing just the chain OR the sprockets causes the replaced part to wear excessively fast.....

6.) To answer your original question - I've used a master link through 3 chain replacements.... If you want to buy the crimping tool for the solid link, go for it, but it's a bit of a pain... a 520 is overkill for a 250 anyway, so the master links tend to hold up very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My chain was about the same way as yours for same reasons with about 14K on it. One day I sat down and cleaned it really good with kerosene and then lube it real good. I had about 10 links that would not bend back in forth so I kept lue them and took my hand and bent it back and forth many times to loosen it up. After about a hour of this, I rode about 100 miles and did notice a lot less nose. A week later did the same thing. After about 200 miles the chain quit making noises and seems to be much better. I still have two links that are not just right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply spooph. I need to add pics & more info to my profile. I did lube the chain at intervals and recently cleaned it. But im afraid the lubes were to far apart & the cleaning came to late. I have saturated the chain several times to no avail. I'm afraid the patient is terminal. I will go with the master link chain. I have been thinking of going down a tooth on rear anyway; since i went up one on front, i jumped from 52 to 60mpg. I commute 125 mi. a day. 70 sounds pretty good right now.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Guess I'll stop at the one bike shop here and see if they have any. I knnow they don't have anything in the shop for sale. They just do work on bikes so maybe they will have some to sell to me...

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
that's fair! as long as you don't ride in rain, I think it's better than anything else if you keep on it - the chain that is... Unfortunately nobody has time for that, so a more "sticky" lubricant is required, you are right.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Also, some of the chemicals in WD40 can strip away any good lube that is on there, and also I've 'heard' long term WD40 use can perish chain rubbers...

I'd use it for cleaning, and for emergencies, as anything is better than nothing... but long term, I'd just fork out for some chain orientated lube. Story goes, the white sticky stuff from the factory is the best. Just a bitch to clean!

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.