Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm back again with some questions about gear. I was looking around I was think about getting a full suit as I would feel safer with that than just a jacket. However I don't know if that will fit in the price range and seen some nice jackets that I could see myself buying. The problem is that what do you guys use to protect your legs and what not? I don't feel like wearing pants like draggin jeans all the time as the price is not where I would like to be. I'm looking for something I can stripe whan I get to my destination and be in normal cloths as I plan to ride eveytime I get. However, the only way that I see that this would work is to use full leathers over my cloths. Also if did get a jacket how do you protect yourself when it rolls up when you wipe out and then leaves your middle body exposed. I would not want to find this out the hard way. If anyone could show me some examples that dont cost alot I would be thankful as I have no clue about this stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Gas, if you can get a full leather 1-piece over your other clothes, then you are a legend, or you have bought a suit that is 4 times bigger than comfortable!!

I believe in wearing leathers, but it is very uncomfortable to walk around in once you are off the bike due to it's inherent stiffness. My outfit originally consisted of RST leather jacket and separate pants that can zip together to form a quasi 1-piece suit.

Now, I still wear my jacket and boots, but I wear the Draggin silverback jeans which are more comfortable and flexible. You can get off the bike, remove your jacket if it is warm enough, and walk around with minimal discomfort. And they still look like a pretty decent pair of jeans!!

Keep a few things in mind,
Leathers get bloody hot in summer, but are not really good at heat retention in winter.
A 1-piece suit is murder to remove if you have been sweating on the bike on a hot day, and your busting to go to the toilet!!
Draggin jeans have plenty of protection in the right areas in case you come off. Yes, they may ride up if you slide along the road, but if you have good boots, then a good portion of your legs will be still covered.

Thats all I can think of right now, but some of the other leather wearers will be along soon!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I started with a cheap textile armoured jacket and now have a leather Alipinstars. For me, there is no comparison. Now its all leather all the time, no matter how hot it is. As for pants, I've just never wanted to get them. Most of the time I wear Logger Jeans from Dickies. They are heavy duty work pants. In Canada I get them at the TSC store and can often find them on sale for as low as $25. They are double panel from the pockets to below the knees and have three panels on the butt (Double patch pockets) so there is a lot more denim to wear through in a get off. Not perfect, but better than regular jeans and much cheaper than riding jeans.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Gas,

I've had a couple of get-offs on the street, with jeans, and those times, the jeans stayed in-tact... I got friction burns underneath them, and I'm sure the case would be the same with leathers, where you're sliding along on a small patch, that patch heats up and burns the skin underneath it....

I wear a leather jacket and Levi's, with boots, gloves and a helmet at all times. That's pretty much my thing....

Finding a set of leather overpants will be next to near impossible, especially if you're looking for something sporty.... Lol, I'm actually having a set custom made, as we speak, because I haven't been able to find what I need pre-made, and it's costing, that's for sure!

Anyways, although I totally believe in safety gear, the best piece you can possibly obtain is skill. So along with your gear additions, make sure to practice, learn, read, watch educational videos, etc, etc to hone your skills.

If you don't like these answers, look into some touring cover-alls, or textile pants from First Gear, or Tourmaster. They're not so expensive, and work pretty well for what you're wanting out of them... However, you're gonna add a trunk to your bike, because they don't fold down compact...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found some under cloths from dragin jeans that seem nice and for a decent price. I think that is where I'm headed as I don't have the money to buy more than one pair of dragin jeans lol. But could you guys give me some advice on that as with thoes I would still be able to wear my normal jeans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.