Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an oil leak coming from what looks like to be the crankcase gasket on the left side of the bike. I called a kawi dealer and he said what I'm referring to is the 'left side magneto gasket' and it's 10$.

quick pic:

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/i/l/vX...R6GqeW1CInpCbWJdk/16210638/1303934400/9b8f76e

is he referring to the same part that I think is leaking ?

thanks !

edit: I guess looking at the picture you might not know what I'm trying to say... its sort of where the crank case cover bolts to the rest of the engine

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
From the looks of the pic, you have oil on the front of the engine clear to the other side. Are you sure you don't need a cylinder base gasket? Have you checked your oil hose or oil pressure switch for leaks because they appear wet as well as your exhaust. if you had a leak at the generator gasket you would also see oil on the coolant pipe and if you look inside the alternator cover you'd see evidence of oil. I bet if you look hard enough, you can determine if the oil is spraying up or running down. Also one other place to check is the seals at the top of the cylinder head cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took that pic while it was raining yesterday, and the engine is also really dirty. I'll clean it off and go for a ride to take another look at the places you mentioned, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
First thing to do is clean it up.Use break clean and wash away all the oil . Those holes Blue is pointing to are drain holes for the spark plug holes. Did some one do a valve adjustment or anything with the valve cover?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I adjusted the valves this winter =X it's a 1997. I didn't clean it yet >.> but I did notice some sort of epoxy JB Weld looking goop on the front where that crankcase cover attaches.. it doesn't look good haha. I guess whatever is cracked under there can always be re-goop'd I hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.