Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went down for the first time on my ninja last night. Super slow speed in a parking lot, and OMG am I happy I had my frame sliders... I only broke the rear fairing, I will post pictures later. Oh, and I'm fine, not even deep scrapes. Just a bruise or two so no worries there...

But the replacement piece, painted and everything costs $46 + shipping on the web:
http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx
SKU:36040-0061-15I
From my dealer it's a little more expensive.

Paint is going to cost me either $15 for a pen from www.colorrite.com, $33 for a can, and then primer added onto that, and the time to fix it. Is it really worth trying to save a few dollars for the pain and headache of trying to fix it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
As far as the parts go, that's pretty cheap. As far as the work goes into painting, I personally suck. I can paint anything and it looks great by itself if i take the time to really sand it out and buff it, but it never matches when compared to other body pieces.

I'd like to see a pic first, but I think it would be better to wait and find a piece already painted on ebay or craigs.
good luck buddy!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sorry to hear Spooph, Glad you are ok. as far as painting. It is so hard to get a good coat unless you have a clean room.

·
Registered
267 Posts
sorry to hear about the crash. that's pretty cheap to have it fully fixed...I think I would just pay for the new fender. you might want to keep the old fender to mess around with for your own practice at body work though. from my experience, using pens or spray never matches perfectly and you'll be a lot more satisfied with a new fender than one with a slight blemish in it that will remind you of the time you went down.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, basically, to make a long story short, it was late, I was tired, it was really stupidly cold (like 14 degrees F and 40% humidity), and I tried to make a turn too tight for the moisture on the cold road... Here's the damages:

oh yea, I should also say that I've ordered the part, in the correct color. It should be here on Tuesday. Anybody want a write-up on install? If not, I'm just gonna throw it on the bike and not deal with taking pics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
good to see you have your sliders there, and you are fine. be more careful next time riding in the cold. what's that plastic part called anyways, couldn't find it...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technically that's like the eleventh time I've fallen over. I dumped my Eliminator a bunch of times while riding on snow and ice.... My worst one yet is when I plowed my old 1984 VF1000F into a mountain side. I have to say, there's a time when you just come to terms with the inevitable... You WILL go down. Prepare accordingly, hope the best, and pray your guardian angels can keep... I felt like I was making mine tired, which is why I picked up the 250... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts