Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a no brainer thing, but I have noticed the idle sometime sits higher or lower than I set it to, sometimes it sits perfect. The real issue is when stopping, sometimes the bike almost feels as if it's going to stall. Does this just mean the clutch cable needs adjusting or is it something else?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Mine does the same......
I find keeping it at 1400-1450 is mines sweet spot....
Any lower and it will jump around......
And any lower i have to give it some throttle in any uphill starts to get started.
1400-1450 makes it the easiest place for any start out 4 me.....

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....t I have noticed the idle sometimes sits higher or lower than I set it to, sometimes it sits perfect. The real issue is when stopping, sometimes the bike almost feels as if it's going to stall.
Three things-
1. Ease the throttle closed, don't let it off abruptly so it closes slam shut while moving.
2. Blip the throttle occasionally if the engine is not completely warmed up.
3. Adjust the play in your throttle cable if necessary.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by blip? How do I adjust the play in the throttle cable? Wouldn't it be the clutch cable that needs adjusting?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
What do you mean by blip? How do I adjust the play in the throttle cable? Wouldn't it be the clutch cable that needs adjusting?
Blip is just bumping ur throttle a little bit...

Throttle cable has an adjustment at handlebars, and some down lower by carbs....try handlebars first.

Maybe ur clutch does need adjustment?
I ain't there to see it....LOL

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blip is just bumping ur throttle a little bit...

Throttle cable has an adjustment at handlebars, and some down lower by carbs....try handlebars first.

Maybe ur clutch does need adjustment?
I ain't there to see it....LOL
I come to a stop sometimes and the bike jerks for a moment when I'm not moving, sometimes it feels like the bike wantsto stall out but doesn't get to that point and the idle will be fine or need adjustment when get the bike warmed in neutral and once I have the idle fine in neutral and begin to ride, sometimes when I come to a stop, I'll notice the idle has moved up higher or dropped to the point I have to blip the throttle to keep it from stalling out on me.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I come to a stop sometimes and the bike jerks for a moment when I'm not moving, sometimes it feels like the bike wantsto stall out but doesn't get to that point and the idle will be fine or need adjustment when get the bike warmed in neutral and once I have the idle fine in neutral and begin to ride, sometimes when I come to a stop, I'll notice the idle has moved up higher or dropped to the point I have to blip the throttle to keep it from stalling out on me.
What ur idle set at?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that should keep it idling smooth......
Maybe......just maybe......
Ur cable needs to be lubed ....?
U mite have a bit of a sticky cable?
U may have to works some thin oil down into it or get a cable luber....
I wonder if there is a video on how to do this? Going to check youtube now. Would be great if we had a video archive or something just for ninjas.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Blipping is a quick twist of the throttle.
The throttle cable can be adjusted at the throttle housing.
The clutch cable would need adjusting if the clutch was not disengaging all the way. You will know it's not disengaging when you tried to put it in gear and get a grinding or clunking noise.

....I come to a stop sometimes and the bike jerks for a moment when I'm not moving, sometimes it feels like the bike wants to stall out but doesn't get to that point and the idle will be fine or need adjustment when get the bike warmed in neutral and once I have the idle fine in neutral and begin to ride, sometimes when I come to a stop, I'll notice the idle has moved up higher or dropped to the point I have to blip the throttle to keep it from stalling out on me.
What do you mean by jerk?
Does the bike move forward in neutral or when the clutch is pulled in?
When the bike is not warmed fully, the idle speed will increase as it gets warmed. Also with a too high an idle speed the engine oil can turn the gears in the tranny a little bit despite the tranny being in neutral (because the gears are all constantly meshed together).

.....1. The normal idle speed (warm engine without choke) for the Ninja 500 should be 1150-1250 rpms. Depending on the tuning of your engine, no higher than 1300. A higher idle speed may result in clunking of the tranny when shifting from neutral to first gear.
If your clutch is pulled in and it is jerking while in gear, then the clutch cable needs adjusting. Bust out that Clymer's Repair Manual and see how to check and adjust the clutch lever play. While your in there have a look at the troubleshooting guide for other potential causes to your issue.

Keep in mind the a poor uncorrectable idle speed is usually a indicator the the valves may need adjusting and the carbs synched. If you do not know when either was last done, you probably want to have it done to keep from having these same issues and symptoms over and over again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.