Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cherry and I thought we'd be adventurous, and go to school yesterday.....

It had snowed the day before.... It was somewhere in the twenties in the morning heading to school.....

And somewhere in the singles when heading home.....

And Madam Cherry got very, very dirty....

Sorry for the bad pictures, they were taken with my phone..

G

·
And I thought I was crazy. ( weather, driving conditions )

Spooph, how hard is it to warm the bike up in the 20's ? My bike doesn't like to be that cold, gets grumpy like me when I wake up in the morning.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I rode my VFR 800 in ice and snow . That sucked.My 600 was OK and my sr 50 was great. I think the ninja will be OK.
Just don't get over confident . That is when the problems start.
If you just go easy relax watch out for ice it is OK. I just stop when there is a big pile of ice or snow.When the cars are gone I go around it. Slow going but a fun adventure. Today it is 65 deg f . Not bad for December in the north east.
Tomorrow will be different.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So have your man parts dropped back down yet?? There is a guy that goes to my school and almost rides everyday no matter what. Its freakin crazy. And im hopin you had carhearts on too. lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
i still don't know how you ride in the snow...how do you corner??
is there like winter tires or something that gives better traction?

·
Registered
101 Posts
dude ur crazy! i rode in the rain a couple times and i wasnt to stoked about it... cant imagine what snow and ice would be like!

ps i like the frame sliders!

·
Registered
874 Posts
must be a nice camera phone to take such good pictures. Riding on snow/slush... how fun.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MadMax said:
And I thought I was crazy. ( weather, driving conditions )

Spooph, how hard is it to warm the bike up in the 20's ? My bike doesn't like to be that cold, gets grumpy like me when I wake up in the morning.
It takes a little bit of loving. I start it with full "choke", and as it starts to jut upwards on the tach (the warmer it gets), I ease off the "choke", until it's completely warm and no "choke".... I also have a habit of adjusting my idle screw setting before I get off the bike the night before, when it is thoroughly warm.... I know I have a good starting for the next morning's adjustments... It's crazy, I can go three full turns from mid-winter, to mid-summer here in Colorado.... I too am lethargic in the morning, and have to have at least a one cigarette and a cup of coffee to muster a smile.... I will however easily stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning (best time to do homework... Well, actually, usually only time to finish a project, because it's due the next day at 8am.... haha)

Darkhorse: good words of advice... When frozen water is present, the speed-demon in me tends to cool down a little as well.... I do however enjoy sliding the rear tire out so easily every now and again... But yes, rather a little slower to live and ride another day...

weth56 said:
So have your man parts dropped back down yet?? There is a guy that goes to my school and almost rides everyday no matter what. Its freakin crazy. And im hopin you had carhearts on too. lol
They don't move much (michellin man get-up, 20 push ups before I get on the bike, and being hidden from the wind).

ccy said:
i still don't know how you ride in the snow...how do you corner??
is there like winter tires or something that gives better traction?
Nope, corners are slow and VERY carefull.... Quite a bit of counter leaning on sharp turns around town.... The big roads usually have at least 6 inches of open asphalt to work with, and on a typical Colorado day, the big roads will be dry within a day (unless we get more snow - in which case I hop on the shoulder at 35mph with a turn signal and brake light on). I am however in the process of designing/making ice chains for the 250... I want to be able to ride right after a snow storm. Why? Nobody else is on the road, and everything is amazingly quiet... It would be awesome to be the only person out in a city of 80,000....

Jester said:
according to the dmv you should "coast your feet on the road when necessary"
I find if this is necessary, you shouldn't be out on the road... I've tried this a few times, and the amount of balance I lost when my foot got caught, or the fact that it made me feel uncomfortable made me stop it real quick... Somebody else might have a different experience however... One word of advice - NEVER, NEVER EVER USE THE FRONT BRAKE WHEN IN SNOW OR ICE. You will go down faster than you thought possible..... Use the rear brake and make MASSIVE following distances, so that WHEN your rear tire starts to slide, you have plenty of time to pulse it on and off smoothly and come to a stop.....
Crispy said:
must be a nice camera phone to take such good pictures. Riding on snow/slush... how fun.
Blackberry Pearl... and a steady hand...

t1gawa said:
yah, pretty clear pictures haha

wow. one dirty Cherry there.

those aren't stock tires, rite???
Indeed they are... and they have +8,000 miles on them... I think I have 2mm of tread left in the back... It's getting time for a new rear...

virtualmatrix258 said:
I'd go nuts! Nice pictures though and yeah you're CRAZY MAN!!
Thanks man, I get that a lot...

Dang! that was a long response

1 - 16 of 16 Posts