Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not literally on fire but I am so afraid it is way too hot. I never noticed this until I started it up to warm it up tonight before I put my cover over it to try and keep Blackula warm tonight since it is going to be the first night under 32 degrees F tonight.

Warming it up I noticed my exhaust pipes insanely hot, RED HOT!!!

Is this really bad or normal to get that hot?

P.S. digital camera was out of batteries so had to use cruddy cell phone :-\

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
that's freekin cool. I've never seen a moto's exhausts do that. I would ask the dealer on this one... My first inclination is to think lean, but that's extreme... Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the rapid reply spooph I will go tomorrow and bring pics....

In your overall expertise, you think it is still safe to ride?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
um, I would... :p I also like to push the limits and such. Is it still under a warranty? Have you modded it to void that warranty? If it's still covered, I'd ride it there.... If something breaks, they'd have to fix it, right?

Well, honestly, I'd ride it there regardless, cause they're going to have to take a look at it... Unless you could haul it with a pickup or something.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No mods, just first 500 mi maintenance and an oil change that I did at home. Now a little over 3k miles on it with no mods, need to check out air filter ( buy K&N).

What time is it in Colorado kinda late 11:30pm here in Calli but I have to finish homework :p

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Scooter, it was past midnight... I try my best not to sleep these days it seems... :p Nah, just up late working... Lots of debt to clear as quickly as possible ya know? They told me it would take me 3 years to pay off my bike, it's going to take 1.6. They tell me it's going to take 10 years for me to pay off my student loans... It will take 2... :p

Keep us posted to what the dealer says, eh?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today in about 5 hours Ill go to the dealer. I checked my coolant and levels were good so we will see.
And spooph what job you have because I want to pay off my bike in 1.6 years! With these times I can only pull 25hours a week at min wage.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I work as a computer tech, and I don't make a whole lot, I'm just very carefull with my money... :p I have been clocking full weeks though, and I work on the side, and I'm starting a company, and I get paid to write reviews of motos at Dreamgarage.com, but that's pittance - I do it for the love... :p I stay busy.

Get a second job, and work towards working a 120hr work week, for a few years in a row, and you'll be surprised at how quickly things get paid off... :p THese days I'm down to like a 70hr work week, and I like it that way, so I"m not going to kill myself.... :p

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunantely still in collage for bio degree so 170 hour week would not work well. Ironically I am going in for an interview today as a telemarketer... I hate thinking about it but it pays big.

Ok back to topic went to the dealer and there answer is due to California polution standards they are very lean which led to my hot pipes. (my bike not my arms)

So jetting it is next in my future and on my wish list for Xmas... Ok I hate when people write that... Christmas. That's better

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
scooter2ninja said:
So jetting it is next in my future and on my wish list for Xmas... Ok I hate when people write that... Christmas. That's better
That pretty cool. I hate when people type xmas but I'm lazy. lol

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Scooter, 170hr/ work week doesn't exist. THere are only 168 hours in a week... :p I also included my school as "work", cause I was, for part of it, going full-time and working full-time. You get what I'm saying, you know how it is.

So I guess my guess wasn't too far off, I've just never seen it that extreme... I guess Kawi designed the little engine to run super hot, eh? NO wonder these things respond so well to jetting, eh?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dealer said it was safe to keep driving... Drove it home tonight, about 15 min on 75 mph highway riding and checked headers again and not glowing. I'm not sure why it did it then but I will keep an eye on it.

and I am wondering that California carbs are done differently than the rest of the worlds since we have such strict emission standards.

I am going to talk to some guys and see if they are going to start smog motos?

Any one recommend a jetting comp products?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Scoot, your headers were probably not glowing cause you had air flow from the bike moving along. If the bike is stationary, there would be a higher temperature in the headers cause there no air flow

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
oohh, someones upgraded to Premium status!!! Welcome to the club!!

Btw, I'm surprised Spooph didn't think of it too!!! :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts