Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
getting a bike of course!! .. or a scooter, so i'm here to ask for the opinion of some of the women and other individuals...

what kind of bike should she get... if at all?

relevant facts to know about experience she has:
-a small amount of bicycling experience (i taught her myself 3 years ago)
-she is about 5'8 or 5'9 i think and has a little bit of trouble sitting on my kawi250r with her feet (toes) down
-she loves motorcycles and rides on the back with me quite often on 50-60 mile little trips on generally non-highway roads
-her spending range is probably about 3-5.5k cash in hand
-she lives in an on-campus apartment so storage is a tiny bit of an issue
-she generally prefers cruisers, but she also likes sportbikes
-----i'll add anything else i think of------

because of her lack lf any real two wheel experience i'm hesitant to encourage the purchase, but at the same time i'd love to be able to ride around with my GF. Perhaps it wouldn't be a GREAT idea, but i'm wondering if you guys think it's REASONABLE.

idk if it's totally relevant, but we've been together for 5 years since highschool. I'm not going to pick a side lightly.

also.. does anyone know how well those 250cc cruisers handle the highway? i've heard doubts about the 250r's endurance for heat and such on the highway from cruiser riders before

· Registered
630 Posts
As a female rider, aside from various issues to come up, I am quite comfortable on my EX500 and I'm 5'7"; but the back of my feet don't quite touch the ground and I find backing up the bike to be a bit difficult. My EX500 cost $2k, gets around 60MPG or so and costs about $165 a year for full coverage insurance. My bike has more than enough power, it tops out at about 135 MPH. It isn't too heavy of a bike and isn't too terribly light on the interstate.

As for storage, no idea since I keep mine in a garage.

· Registered
165 Posts
I never got on a bike until my MSF course two months ago. So lack of riding experience shouldn't be an issue. So long as she learns at her own pace and doesn't try anything she's not comfortable with nor ready for she should be fine. :)

· Registered
674 Posts
I'd recommend that she take a basic MSF course before making any cycle purchase.

That will give her a feel for riding. At that point she'll know if it's for her or not.

I think most of the courses have Honda 250 Rebels in their fleet, so she could try one of those. From what you described it may be a good choice for her - as a starter at least.

Jay

· Registered
165 Posts
I'd recommend that she take a basic MSF course before making any cycle purchase.

That will give her a feel for riding. At that point she'll know if it's for her or not.

I think most of the courses have Honda 250 Rebels in their fleet, so she could try one of those. From what you described it may be a good choice for her - as a starter at least.

Jay
Agreed :)

· Registered
630 Posts

Jay
Yeah, MSF for sure. I learned at MSF and the bike I learned on was a Honda Nighthawk 250.

1,465 Posts
Find a 250 for her but lower it. She would probably do just fine on a 300 or 650 bit will definitely have to lower It which is easy and cheap. 30-40 bucks for most bikes. I'd say get her on a used 600 but then she'd be way more bad ass than you and we couldn't have that haha

· Registered
531 Posts
I would say buy used for a couple grand. It will take a little time to find a good one for that price but they are out there. Plus w/ winter coming up, the used bikes will be cheaper and you have all winter to shop. Do have her take the MSF for sure. Big difference between riding on one and controlling one. Oh, and use some of that $$ for gear, but then she already has the gear from riding on your bike, right? ;)

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say buy used for a couple grand. It will take a little time to find a good one for that price but they are out there. Plus w/ winter coming up, the used bikes will be cheaper and you have all winter to shop. Do have her take the MSF for sure. Big difference between riding on one and controlling one. Oh, and use some of that $$ for gear, but then she already has the gear from riding on your bike, right? ;)
lol i let her wear some of my off-season gear when she rides with me. I have the privilege of riding all year long because of the texas climate ^^.. Used motorcycles blech... i can't believe so many people buy used bikes. i just have a thing against anything used.

· Registered
674 Posts
lol i let her wear some of my off-season gear when she rides with me. I have the privilege of riding all year long because of the texas climate ^^.. Used motorcycles blech... i can't believe so many people buy used bikes. i just have a thing against anything used.
Buying used makes a lot of sense for a small starter bike that you aren't planning to keep forever - and one you know will hit the deck sooner rather than later...

Honestly I'm amazed at people that buy a new motorcycle as their first - terrible idea IMO. Right up there with financing it.

They usually pay way too much for it, get an expensive 5 year warranty, drop it a couple of times, and sell it in a year - if they are lucky enough to sell it. Most of the time they are trying to get way too much for it used because they paid way too much for it new with all the dealer add-ons.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Buying used makes a lot of sense for a small starter bike that you aren't planning to keep forever - and one you know will hit the deck sooner rather than later...

Honestly I'm amazed at people that buy a new motorcycle as their first - terrible idea IMO. Right up there with financing it.

They usually pay way too much for it, get an expensive 5 year warranty, drop it a couple of times, and sell it in a year - if they are lucky enough to sell it. Most of the time they are trying to get way too much for it used because they paid way too much for it new with all the dealer add-ons.
:thumb:

· Registered
1,230 Posts

So true ...

:NefRider:

1,465 Posts
Buying used makes a lot of sense for a small starter bike that you aren't planning to keep forever - and one you know will hit the deck sooner rather than later... Honestly I'm amazed at people that buy a new motorcycle as their first - terrible idea IMO. Right up there with financing it. They usually pay way too much for it, get an expensive 5 year warranty, drop it a couple of times, and sell it in a year - if they are lucky enough to sell it. Most of the time they are trying to get way too much for it used because they paid way too much for it new with all the dealer add-ons.
that just means great deals for the ppl who like to buy used !!!

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Only way new is good is if u plan to keep the bike a long time.....
Then u know 4 sure the history....
But u'll still get a better deal buying used....
New will loose a lot of value fist thing off the lot...

1,465 Posts
Only way new is good is if u plan to keep the bike a long time..... Then u know 4 sure the history.... But u'll still get a better deal buying used.... New will loose a lot of value fist thing off the lot...
yes but I never buy used. I know the hell my bikes go through. Wouldn't want to buy a bike from myself because the bike would have been ridden to its limits and then some. Peace of mind is worth it !!!!

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
glad i'm not the only one who thinks the peace of mind is worth it

people don't take care of their shit. i don't want to buy their old trash only to have it break.

In fact.. i have a neighbor who gets a new car every 2 years because she runs the bitch til it dies w/o doing any maintenance. watched her first car fall apart before she started this trend

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.