Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my dad about getting a new exhaust for my bike when he suggested that he make one for me at work. He does a lot of stainless steel fabrication and could get the materials for nothing. So I say "yeah, sure" as if I'm gonna knock back that kind of offer.

It doesn't have the finished look of a Yoshi or Akrapovic but I don't think it looks too bad.

As for how it sounds - it's got a really low, smooth rumble to it and it's LOUD. Also, when you ease off the throttle there's a slight crackling sound which I really like, but does anyone know if this is a good thing? Does it mean I'm running too rich or lean? I have the snorkel removed and I have two washers on each needle.

The noise attracts a little more attention now. I'm still getting used to that :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
nice looks really good. I was out on mine yesterday with my drag pipe and went past a group of hondas in the area that always make noise very late at night and as i came screamin by they couldnt take it and their alarms were going nuts. Revenge is best served LOUD haha. so i know what u mean on the noise lol. LOve it

·
Registered
277 Posts
That pipe looks sick! :eek: You have NOTHING to be ashamed of as far as that not being a bought/branded pipe. I'd take the clean look of that pipe over my Yoshi with the big dumb plate riveted to the side. All that plate is saying is, "Hey, look how much I spent on my bike!" (I got mine for free, so no judging) :p

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow... that really looks good!

As for the popping, when you back off on the throttle... it can happen with any un-baffled exhaust with low back-preasure.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looks good, your father has mad skills.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That is a really nice home made exhaust, looks like you just bought it.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
That's a sweet looking can Aysee! May we request a video? And I think with that can you should take the rim tape off and polish your lips.... Sweet looking bike regardless. Would your dad be up for making exhausts for others as well?

And about the backfiring, it's not necessarily the can that makes the backfiring happen, but rather allows it to be heard. Yes, it means you're a little rich, but with these CV carbs it's hard to get it to stop, and still have enough fuel up top... You can try backing down your air/fuel mixture screw .5-1 turn, or downsizing your main jet by .5-1 size, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

If it's doing it with this can, it was prolly also doing it with your stock can, you just didn't hear it because the stock can is so horribly restricted.... I know mine does, but I have to listen closely...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sweet... yep I would be interested if your dad would want to make more. Talk it over with him and work up a price. You might have the makings of a good little business. 8)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for your comments. So the snap crackle pop is okay. Cool.

crushedcamber - It's silver vinyl.

spooph - I'll see if I can make a video.

As for making more of these - it took him months just to make this one. He could only work on it when he had a bit of free time here and there. So making these to order won't be possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts