Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

My Buell inspired GSX-R.

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Travisty 
#1 ·
Well, many of you probably remember my story about going down last year.. For the remainder of that year, I ran the bike with the headlight/upper cowl only, and minimal plastics for the tail (just enough to hold the taillight basically). Late fall, I broke up with my girlfriend and decided then and there that I really did hate having passengers on my bike (which was a stupid decision, she had her own bike, haha). My subframe wasn't damaged at all, and in hindsight I should have bought a used/damaged one to modify, but I'm bawlz deep in this one now, so no reason to cry about it!

Personally, I love it. I think this is how my sportbike should have come from the factory. These things are uncomfortable enough with one person, but add a second (especially one who doesn't know how to handle herself), and it's a HUGE pain in the arse. It is still relatively "rough", but it has potential. I have had more compliments on this than anything else, and that's nice to hear someone admires your taste. It also seems to confuse people.. Apparently they can't tell bikes by their headlights (it's sad that the Stealership saleswoman messed up and called it a R6, haha), but I can't hate too hard.

Sound off guys, let me know what you think about it, good or bad. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks very mean and angry, and for that, I love it! Once you have it done, for a show bike/looker, it's awesome!

If it were mine though, I would have left just a smidge more frame, and made a little cafe-bike inspired butt-stop in the back, for some hard riding... At least something to feel I'm at the back of the seat, ya know?

Keep it going, and keep the pics coming! some action shots would be sweet too!

#5 ·
Love it Trav! Would prefer to see a little more at the back, but may have to see you on it first!

One thing I would definately change is the front fender, make it flat black, or make the rear fender/hugger blue, just to balance it out properly.

Nice work buddy!

#6 ·
You don't find that it affected the centre of gravity at all? I like the look but I have to question whether its best for the ride.
Firstly, I agree with Spooph - "a little cafe-bike inspired butt-stop in the back, for some hard riding". I'd be too worried about coming off the back of the seat & really grinding my bawlz. lol
Secondly, the changes (although cool) look like they'd significantly affect the handling of the bike & make it less fun to ride.
Just my 2 cents.

#10 ·
Blue Ghost said:
Seems someone else in Malaysia had a similar idea.
Seems someone in Malaysia Photoshopped their hugger as their rear seat! ;)

Thanks EVERYONE for the compliments! So far, I haven't had one negative comment (not even within earshot!).

SWE37: Not at all mate! I haven't noticed a change in the way the bike handles, ever. Not even when I went to the "GP-style" underbelly exhaust (which significantly reduced weight, and lowered the CoG a tad). I've never had a "close call" of my arse sliding towards the back seat... I play around every once in a while with new riding positions, but I never feel comfortable sitting back that far on the seat anyways just because the lack of padding, and without the contours, it's not nearly as easy to slide back and forth for the corners.

Most people ask "So did you loop it out and lose the ass-section of the bike?" Nah, just dropped it and that gave me the opportunity to do with it what I wanted.

I do agree with the front fender comment though, and I think I'll get the rims powdercoated black, too. Should I do a polished lip, polished lip/inner rim, or just leave them solid black?

#14 ·
Agreed with SPOOPH, although it looks great I would feel much better with a ARSe stop.

Nice work bro. As for the photoshop picture It would have to be much higher resolution to find errors in the editing job, but with higher resolutions come better work so it would still be difficult to tell.

#16 ·
AUDACIA said:
Agreed with SPOOPH, although it looks great I would feel much better with a ARSe stop.

Nice work bro. As for the photoshop picture It would have to be much higher resolution to find errors in the editing job, but with higher resolutions come better work so it would still be difficult to tell.
See the dirt mark right above the brake line on the tire-hugger that's attached to the swingarm? It appears again on the "seat".

I'm going to be building a custom subframe this winter which will (hopefully) include a full set of custom skins. I don't know about the cafe look, but maybe take a bit of that flavor and make it a little more new...? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.