Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like we have never paid msrp for anything retail, except for motorcycle gear. Why is it every motorcycle retailer seems to stick to the msrp pricing across the board?

Went to buy my new gear this past weekend and there just isn't any give off that MSRP price.

There is virtually no variance among any of the local or national retailers on pricing. Anybody have inside info or just thoughts on this?

1,465 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter on the pricing. I have checked out all the major web retailers for gear and they stick to msrp just like the local guys. Everyone has virtually the same prices except for whee they are closing out some gear.
its basically a gentlemans agreement to allow for maximum profit however once you build repor with some places they give discounts. Riders discount has pretty good prices and they will haggle. Cycle gear gives me a great discount off the listed or msrp price. Just talk to them about the price usually they will give discounts

twisted throttles brings me smiles

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its basically a gentlemans agreement to allow for maximum profit however once you build repor with some places they give discounts. Riders discount has pretty good prices and they will haggle. Cycle gear gives me a great discount off the listed or msrp price. Just talk to them about the price usually they will give discounts

Thanks for the heads up on those. I did see those sites before, but like others their prices were the exact same on most things.

It does seem to be a "gentlemen's agreement" on this gear. I just purchased the new Icon Hypersport Prime jacket and nobody would give a deal on it (maybe because its new) but even when I bought my helmet (HJC high viz) - every place I called gave the same ($278) price. Local dealer had a sale on HJC helmets to get ready for the winter and ended up getting it at $230. When I wanted other gear, unless it was already marked on sale, they stuck to their prices.

Just surprised no one has jumped on and tried to become the "discount guy" on MC gear by offering lower prices from the msrp.

1,465 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on those. I did see those sites before, but like others their prices were the exact same on most things. It does seem to be a "gentlemen's agreement" on this gear. I just purchased the new Icon Hypersport Prime jacket and nobody would give a deal on it (maybe because its new) but even when I bought my helmet (HJC high viz) - every place I called gave the same ($278) price. Local dealer had a sale on HJC helmets to get ready for the winter and ended up getting it at $230. When I wanted other gear, unless it was already marked on sale, they stuck to their prices. Just surprised no one has jumped on and tried to become the "discount guy" on MC gear by offering lower prices from the msrp.
they can't because the gentlemans agreement is between supplier and manufacturer. Not store to store. If they discount to much the supplier won't sell because he wants to keep the manufacturer happy. U can get discounts but by being loyal. I have 5 sets of leathers. If I don't get one made and get a store seri get about35-45% off depending on how new it is from cycle gear. Riders discount requires dollar amounts before they discount. Use friends purchases under your account. They start small but spend enough and they are great

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they can't because the gentlemans agreement is between supplier and manufacturer. Not store to store. If they discount to much the supplier won't sell because he wants to keep the manufacturer happy. U can get discounts but by being loyal. I have 5 sets of leathers. If I don't get one made and get a store seri get about35-45% off depending on how new it is from cycle gear. Riders discount requires dollar amounts before they discount. Use friends purchases under your account. They start small but spend enough and they are great

Ok got it. I checked out some RS Taichi jackets and wow great feeling awesome fit and protection but price was out there. Ended up buying the Icon instead. Sales guy said they cannot discount Taichi gear. Now makes sense that the manufacturers/suppliers are keeping the prices up there. Guess its good for the stores too if they are getting a good wholesale price from their suppliers.

Appreciate the info- just trying to learn about gear/places to buy, etc.. hooked on the websites every day! :facepalm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.