Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see ive only had my bike since last saturday but i put 160 miles on it and my guage is already on about empty so im kinda confused as to why im not getting the above 250 miles out of a tank unless my guage is just not reliable at all

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Don't trust your gauge, they are a suggestion only, an estimate at best. In a few fill ups you'll get a good idea about how far a certain amount of gas will get you. Just note your milage when you fill up, ride for a couple hundred miles, then see how much fuel it takes to get back to full. You'll be able to calculate both your avg milage and avg range after you record that a few times.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Don't forget that your engine might still be tight from being so new, once things start loosening up a little you will get better mileage.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Depending on how nitpicky you want to get about this, here are some figures:

The stock tank will hold 4.8gal. Considering the bowls, fuel line and such, you can put almost 5~5.1 gal in the system at one time.

As has been posted, the gas gauge is horrible at being accurate. A lot of people post that their gas gauge reads low. I thought mine did too until I started filling the tank to the top. With the bike level (while sitting on it), fill it to the filler neck. Then keep filling. It won't fill up as quickly as you think, in fact, it will take a BUNCH more fuel.... ONLY DO THIS if you plan to ride the IMMEDIATELY, otherwise you'll just waste the gas from the overflow tube once you put it back on the kickstand.

What is your gearing? Where in the RPM range do you cruise? I have 15/44 gearing and tend to cruise speed limit + 6 or so, which means I'm rarely HARD on the acceleration. When we go for a canyon run the bike works 30% harder, with RPM's never dropping below 9K. This gives me an average of close to 60mpg, maybe 58 or so, never below 55mpg's....

Your riding style. When accelerating, do you take your time accelerating up to the speed limit, maybe holding the RPM's higher than they need to be for more than 2-3 seconds? When I come off the line I tend to give 50% - 75% throttle and quickly shift through all the gears to top gear at the speed limit + 6.....

How much do you weight? Do you carry extra weight with you on a daily basis? How much? Where is your tire pressures at? How well is your chain lubed? Are you provided with nitrogenated fuel or good old fashioned unadulterated, un-cut gas?

As Zandit mentioned, your engine is still settling in, so you'll see some benefits from there as well. What is your goal for MPG's? I have put 300 miles on a tank before. Your best bet is to get a 1 gal gas can, fill it, strap it to your passenger seat, and go ride her till she's dry.... :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depending on how nitpicky you want to get about this, here are some figures:

The stock tank will hold 4.8gal. Considering the bowls, fuel line and such, you can put almost 5~5.1 gal in the system at one time.

As has been posted, the gas gauge is horrible at being accurate. A lot of people post that their gas gauge reads low. I thought mine did too until I started filling the tank to the top. With the bike level (while sitting on it), fill it to the filler neck. Then keep filling. It won't fill up as quickly as you think, in fact, it will take a BUNCH more fuel.... ONLY DO THIS if you plan to ride the IMMEDIATELY, otherwise you'll just waste the gas from the overflow tube once you put it back on the kickstand.

What is your gearing? Where in the RPM range do you cruise? I have 15/44 gearing and tend to cruise speed limit + 6 or so, which means I'm rarely HARD on the acceleration. When we go for a canyon run the bike works 30% harder, with RPM's never dropping below 9K. This gives me an average of close to 60mpg, maybe 58 or so, never below 55mpg's....

Your riding style. When accelerating, do you take your time accelerating up to the speed limit, maybe holding the RPM's higher than they need to be for more than 2-3 seconds? When I come off the line I tend to give 50% - 75% throttle and quickly shift through all the gears to top gear at the speed limit + 6.....

How much do you weight? Do you carry extra weight with you on a daily basis? How much? Where is your tire pressures at? How well is your chain lubed? Are you provided with nitrogenated fuel or good old fashioned unadulterated, un-cut gas?

As Zandit mentioned, your engine is still settling in, so you'll see some benefits from there as well. What is your goal for MPG's? I have put 300 miles on a tank before. Your best bet is to get a 1 gal gas can, fill it, strap it to your passenger seat, and go ride her till she's dry.... :D
Spooph, you always detailed, page-length responses! Why am I feeling the urge to grab a 1 gal gas can?

When I figured my gas mileage last time I filled up I came somewhere between 30-40mpg... When I fill up I stand the bike up and fill it to the tippy-top. The gauge will show just at or slightly above the "F" and I ride it until the gauge is deathly close to/on "E".

Is the gauge really THAT inaccurate? I would think, with modern technology and all... that Kawi could make a better meter. XD

I also tend to be aggressive on acceleration and cruise around the power band (anywhere from 5-8k).

·
Registered
656 Posts
From just above the Emark to the steel thing in the fill up area I can pull ALMOST 300miles if I baby it :) But what's the fun of babying a sports bike? haha, so I get about 200miles per tank until around july\august then I get in the 280's. Not sure why but my bike HATES winter mix fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From just above the Emark to the steel thing in the fill up area I can pull ALMOST 300miles if I baby it :) But what's the fun of babying a sports bike? haha, so I get about 200miles per tank until around july\august then I get in the 280's. Not sure why but my bike HATES winter mix fuel.
I use my ninja 250 every day for a 100 mile round trip commute mainly motorway riding. The best i've seen is 105 mpg, the worst was 46.5 mpg riding at 80-100 mph. The overall average is 72 mpg. Thrashing it around twisties with the wife on back 4th gear against the rev limiter, I managed 60mpg. The longest I have gone between fill ups is 260 miles for 3.38 uk gallons. the bike will be 4 years old in a month and has just done 55,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.