Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kawi's deuce and a half is notorious for having exceptional fuel mileage. Most of the threads I've read that mention the topic show 60-70 mpg. Yeah, so.....I'm getting about 40. No, that is not a typo. Hoping you folks can help me out. Here is some background info to start off with.
Idle speed: 1200 rpm
60 in 6th at 7k
Bike is BONE STOCK
Most of my commute is hwy at 65 to 80 depending on traffic. I've used other routes avoiding the highway completely and it makes virtually no difference.
I weigh about 200 lbs and local elevation is at sea level (just below sea level, technically). Float valves are in good shape. Haven't inspected valve clearance yet but, I can't hear any tap so I think I'm good there, too. Tire pressure is OEM spec. Cruising mostly at about 8k rpm.
I think that covers the answers to the questions I would ask if someone came to me with this issue. If you want more info, ask and ye shall receive. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Oh yeah, totally off topic, sorry no pics yet. I know that is a sin around here and it will be rectified soon.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That is odd. Have you checked the intake for blockages? Condition of the air filter and plugs? Oil level correct?

Do the wheels spin freely? Is the chain lubed and adjusted properly? Tire pressures up?

You should be seeing 60 MPG+ easily. My 650 can do mid 50s on the hwy at 70+.

Are you from IL?

Jay

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....Most of my commute is hwy at 65 to 80 depending on traffic.
Well, right der is ya problum. You be goin too fast!.

Most MPG estimates for most vehicles are based on speeds of 55- 60 mph. RPM speeds over 6.5k on the 250 Ninja will result in a drop in mpg. Changing sprocket sizes and shifting at lower rpms will improve your mpg. Also correctly calculating your fuel usage helps as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Flatlander I'm kinda in the same boat as far as MPG goes. I bought my Kawi 250 to help get better milage than my old Honda Shadow 600. But they are really close to MPG wise as I'm getting bout 40-45 Mpg. My stats are bout the same as you, I'm pushing 200 lbs and my idle and Rpm's are exactly the same.
I'm chalking my Mpg to several factors:
1. Bike and engine are newer and need to break in a little more. I have 1100 miles on mine.
2. My riding style and commute. I tend to take off from lights like a bat outta hell. Thrash it on the back road twisties. And when commuting to work I mostly hit 65-75 mph for half and stop and go red light for the other half.
3. My weight... Do not take offense to this but I'm a fat ass. I know me and you weigh bout the same but I gained a lot of weight this past winter(45 lbs) and I think the extra weight doesn't help. Less weight will help any vehicle get better milage.
When calculating MPG Kawi was using someone of a smaller stature and overall riding style may varied.
I have noticed though that when riding home from work at 11:30 at night I tend to slow down to speed limit speed of 55 mph. My mpg does tend to improve. However when I go to work in the afternoon and more traffic on the road I tend to speed more to keep with traffic flow better.
I'm trying to be more aware of when I'm shifting too. Trying to shift at much lower rpm like 4k-5k instead of 6k and up if I can. Plus keeping tire pressure normal and keeping the chain cleaned, tensioned, and lubed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ghost, there is no such thing as too fast! Lol. I'm sure you guys are correct that my commute speed has an impact but, as stated earlier, even when I take an alternate route for the time it takes to run down a full tank I am still getting about the same.

I'm going to do the routine maint stuff today. Check air filter, re check tire pressure, chain slack, etc...Will post any issues or noticeable differences as they come along. BTW, bike is an '08 with 6000 on the clock, about 1200 of it from me.

Was reading up last night on final drive ratio changes and I think a 15/43 may be in my near future. I've also noticed that a lot of posts claim an increase in mpg after intake/exhaust changes. Seems counterintuitive to me and have seen just the opposite with bigger bikes but, ya can't argue with results.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. You guys rock! This is exactly why I joined.

·
Registered
674 Posts
@jkv, no sir. Jacksonville, Florida. If I ever find myself that far north, I will let you know. ;-)
Ah - "Flatlander" is a common term (among others) used by people in WI for people from IL.

Even though your speeds are pretty high, I still think you should see better numbers. Any chance the carbs have been rejetted by the previous owner? Do the idle mixture screws still have the caps on them?

Gearing up 1T on the countershaft might help, but not that much. I geared up 1T to smooth out my cruise (drops 500 RPM generally), but it didn't gain much in MPGs for me.

For my SV 650n (no fairings), with a slip-on muffler, the worst I've seen (in-town or on the hwy, doesn't affect MPG much either way) is 50, best was close to 60, average hwy at 70-ish is about 55MPG.

You be able to crush that with a stock Ninja. Plenty of modified Ninja are used for MPG competitions, and some are getting around the 100 MPG with some mild tuning and aero aids.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/low-slows-ninja-250-project-19940-24.html

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/2011-Streamliner/2011-vetter-streamliner-p51.html

Jay

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! I appreciate the links. Haven't had a chance to look yet. Yet. I am greatly intrigued. I'm thinking I'm just too heavy for it but, if I can mod/tune what I want out of the bike, that would be great. I really just enjoy the 250. I have a lot of plans for for it already.

Sent from my iPhone using New Ninja

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If everything mechanical checks out it's time to analyze the riding style. The ninja has very little torque, which means you accelerate using the horsepower. The peak HP on a stock bike with that huge can on the muffler comes in about 9K. Make sure when you accelerate to be around 9K, once at cruising speed shift to top gear. Once you need juice again, shift to whichever gear will get you closest to 9K. Obviously, if you simply want to pick up 5mph you don't have to downshift 3 gears (3rd gear) and ring the poor 250's neck just to shift through all 3 gears again (6th gear) in 3 seconds, but I think you get my jist...

Also, I'm running 15/44, at 5,000ft, but usually not over 170lbs including gear/baggage and have been averaging 65mpg. On my Portland trip where most of the freeway miles were done at 90mph or worse (65mph with a 60mph crosswind) I was getting ~51...

This is definitely something you need to look into...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spooph, that certainly sounds plausible. Going to take some getting used to, though. Tried it on the way home today. I've been shifting near the bottom of the power band for so long, it felt weird. The more I think about it, I've been using that motor all wrong. I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update action. Spooph, I have ried your suggestion for three consecutive trips now. The feel of the bike is totally different. I won't know one way or the other about mpg for a while yet, most likely. I had already burned through a quarter tank before I saw your suggestion. I will see something, I'm sure, from this tank but will have a better idea riding this way through the whole tank.

In any event, throttle response is better. I do find myself speeding a tad bit more but, that's just learning to adjust. Thanks again for the input. Funny how we miss the "obvious" stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
last summer i tried 2 different riding possitions just to see what difference it was in milage
-1st tank i got 54 mpg US (rode as much upright as i could yet still being comfortable)
-2nd tank i got 58 mpg US (rode leaning as much forward yet being comfortable)
i also did a test wearing 2 different jackets
-1st tank got 57 mpg US (wearing loose fitting insulated textile jacket and leaning forward)
-2nd tank got 61.5 mpg US (wearing snug fitting leather jacket and leaning forward)
i will be doing more testing after all my mods to see how windscreen size and sprockets change fuel efficiency.
i drive a 400cc bike so i'm guessing a 250 would have more variance in fuel consumption with similar changes in riding/apparel.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I always get over 60 MPG with my 2012 Ninja 650......well unless it's a play day.....LOL....then 55.....
I'f i treat it real easy i can get up to 68.....
But that's shifting at 3500 each gear n going easy.......No fun at all...LOL
I have that ECO thingy on the dash........
I usually try to keep it on.....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.