Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving cross country in January and I don't have much money to spare. I could use some ideas or feedback on the plan I'm currently considering. My plan so far is to get a hitch installed on my Mustang (2006 Ford Mustang GT, you can google for specs) and it has a tow capacity of 1000 lbs. I don't own much stuff, so I can fit everything I own into the car and still have room to spare.

I found that the trailer I was looking at exceeded that capacity before being loaded. I'm looking at a the hitch mounted front wheel holder right now. Can anyone suggest one of good quality? I'm making a 2000 mile move, so it has to hold. Ideas are welcome here.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U-haul's 4x6 trailer is more than enough for what you need.

Front wheel hitches are no good for long hauls and require you to disconnect the chain from the rear wheel (if you don't you will melt your tranny.

Look into a motorcycle carrier.
Will a carrier fit on this? Someone on another site suggested I rent a motorcycle uhaul trailer, but they don't seem to be offerred in my area. If I have to go with a cradle, I don't know how to remove my chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhaul says " The motorcycle trailer is for in-town use only but you can rent a 5 x 9 ramp trailer for a one-way trip." But the 5'x9' is too heavy for my car to pull.

Let me check the 4'x6'.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Will a carrier fit on this? Someone on another site suggested I rent a motorcycle uhaul trailer, but they don't seem to be offerred in my area. If I have to go with a cradle, I don't know how to remove my chain.
If you are getting a trailer hitch installed it will fit. Most hitches have open receivers to install various length tongues and balls. The carrier slides into the receiver.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are getting a trailer hitch installed it will fit. Most hitches have open receivers to install various length tongues and balls. The carrier slides into the receiver.

Excellent, will save me having to remove the chain and if I break down, I can easily take the bike off and use it. Now I just need to find a good, reputable one of these that has a good price.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
531 Posts
Careful. You need to watch the tongue weight too. This is the weight that is at the tip of the hitch you bolt onto you car. It's different from the tow capacity. Read here for more info and the differences in classes. Also keep in mind the 1000lb towing capacity may include all weight in addition to the car itself; so that may include the driver, luggage and passengers you may have.

Anyway... If you use a carrier you will need at least a class III trailer hitch when considering the 500ex weighs around 380lbs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a 4' x 8' trailer is what I need, but could I load my bike on this trailer like I drew in MS paint below?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·