Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i found this page that has motorcycle-specific laws for texas (the state i live in of course), and they make it seem so damn ambiguous as to whether some of the things are legal or not.

TxDPS - MSU FAQs

it says that turn signals are not a requirement on motorcycles, but does that mean that i don't have to use my turn signals? I haven't been using them lately while weaving through traffic (safely of course), and it gives me a whole new sense of freedom while i ride. I just want a few extra opinions on whether you think i'll get pulled over for not using my signals. Don't get me wrong.. signals have their place, but i don't want to get pulled over for speeding AND not using a turn signal.

Which reminds me... i blatantly got caught by a cycle cop going well over the speed limit and he didn't pull me over. Which makes me think that cycle cops have an understanding disposition for other motorcycle riders or something... anyone else ever had a similar experience?

·
Registered
615 Posts
L1felock said:
so i found this page that has motorcycle-specific laws for texas (the state i live in of course), and they make it seem so damn ambiguous as to whether some of the things are legal or not.

TxDPS - MSU FAQs

it says that turn signals are not a requirement on motorcycles, but does that mean that i don't have to use my turn signals? I haven't been using them lately while weaving through traffic (safely of course), and it gives me a whole new sense of freedom while i ride. I just want a few extra opinions on whether you think i'll get pulled over for not using my signals. Don't get me wrong.. signals have their place, but i don't want to get pulled over for speeding AND not using a turn signal.

Which reminds me... i blatantly got caught by a cycle cop going well over the speed limit and he didn't pull me over. Which makes me think that cycle cops have an understanding disposition for other motorcycle riders or something... anyone else ever had a similar experience?
My interpretation would be that if they are not even required, you don't have to use them. It's always good to alert other drivers as to what actions you will be making, especially on a motorcycle, but for the instance you said of safely passing another car I would say that you wouldn't need to use them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
L1felock said:

TxDPS - MSU FAQs

I had a similar situation with a motorcycle unit. I was entering the highway and when I entered the ramp, I went full throttle as I usually do and once on the highway just a few hundred yards away was the motorcycle unit. I was going at least 20mph over the speed limit. He heard my exhaust when I was on the ramp and was already turned around and just looked at me as I drove by. I was either lucky or he was a nice guy. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts